1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antlers Losing Color In Process

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by alekh, Nov 30, 2021.

1. alekh

alekh New Member

Hoping someone may have ideas to help me with a process. I'm using maceration to do skull mounts. I use buckets of water inside a heated room for the maceration. The circulating dry hot air (maybe 100F) is causing the antlers to dry out over the course of maceration (typically around a two week process. This drying is causing them to lose quite a bit of color. I'm currently staining the bases (where i lose color to maceration water), but also having to stain entire antler (due to loss of color in heated room).
    I'm wondering if there's a better way to bring life back into the antlers besides staining the entire thing? I've read where a 50/50 mix of linseed-turpentine may be an option... but also read where it can yellow over time.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

2. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

MD
    Any submerged aquarium heater set to 84 F will do the trick. They run $15-20. The heater you’re using is an energy hog and not the best tool for the job. It’s probably difficult to maintain a good temp.

3. alekh

alekh New Member

4. alekh

alekh New Member

Thanks Vulpes. The little room I have is well insulated, and I actually use quite a bit less energy bulky heating that way. But maybe I’m way too warm. I may try cutting back to see if that’ll help. I appreciate your suggestion