1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Remove The Brain Before Maceration?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Vulpes Vulpes, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

MD
    Question: Do you remove the brain before macerating skulls?

I’m macerating a black bear skull now and used a popsicle stick to take most of the brain out. It took almost 10 minutes but I think it will minimize the grease and casket wax I have to remove later.
    am I wasting my time?

2. QBD

QBD Active Member

Removing the brain is certainly worthwhile but doing it with a popsicle stick is not very efficient.

There are lots of posts on here about Brain Blaster or Brainblaster. Use search and search only Skulls and Skeletons.

Some of the pictures may be gone but there should be some left to give you an idea of the basic design. I will see if I can find a pic of mine and post it.

Here is a couple of links to pictures:
    https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/116678/#post-2796389
    https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/116678/page-2#post-2799259

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Vulpes Vulpes and 3bears like this.

3. You're not wasting your time. Any extra meat taken off will make the process faster, especially for such a large animal

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Agree the more you remove the better off you are . I take a heavy pcs of wire and I hammer the end flat then bend it to make a 90 about 3/8 long . I then make a loop at the other end for a handle , leaving bout 7-8 inches of straight wire to reach up into brain cavity and scrape brain out , if you can scape the brain skull lining out enough to grab with pliers , when you pull that out it usually empty’s the cavity image.jpg

Vulpes Vulpes likes this.
  5. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    This is what i use to remove the brains. Simple air chuck with a small brake line attached. Cover the back of the skull with a Safeway bag. Poke a small hole through the bag and insert the brake line into the cavity. Hold on to the bag and blow the brains out. Most of the time it's pretty clean and takes all of 5-10 seconds. Move the chuck around to make sure all the brains are out and your done. Works pretty slick.

Tim

Beast+Bone and Tnrandy like this.
  6. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    Won't let me upload a pic at all dont know why. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I
    it may be to big of a file to load , make it smaller or if there is a lot of colorful things behind it move to solid background and retake

8. upload to imgur.com/upload and copy the link

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Remove everything you can. That includes the brain, eyes and any large chunks of flesh. You can make a "Brain Blaster" as above or just use the stream of water in a jet from the hose. Break it up and flush it out. I do bears all the time. Less than two weeks to completely clean if you do it right.

You can try the "Advanced Search" for Brain Blaster and a lot of posts should come up on it.

Vulpes Vulpes likes this.
  10. I do basically the same thing except I put the bag in a garbage can and hang the skull over it, brain cavity down. Then I drilled a hole towards the bottom of the garbage can and stick my air nozzle through it. One quick blast and it’s all done and bagged up…..and most importantly pointed down so I don’t get any spray in the face anymore! Lol

Elkarcher and Vulpes Vulpes like this.
  11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

This site has a spot where you can upload "Media" but I think there are limits. You can then click on those pictures and use them in posts. I prefer to use https://postimages.org/ which is a free site and very easy to use. Once you upload an image there will be different choices for different types of links to use to share the photo. I use the direct link which seems to show the largest photos. You can also choose to reduce your picture size or keep it the original file size when you upload it. This site works very well with using those links. Example below:
    [​IMG]

Elkarcher likes this.