1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanneries... Fleshing?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Unearthed Remains, Dec 1, 2021.

1. I feel seriously dumb for never being able to figure out how to properly flesh pelts. I have tried and tried and I just cant do it. I have so many pelts I want to send into a tannery but I can't because they are not fleshed and so are frozen. I have a proper fleshing knife... but I don't have any fleshing boards which might be my issue. But I hear of people fleshing without boards so I don't see why it would be an issue.

I tried watching videos. Guys seem to get perfectly under all that meat and it all just slides right off. Whatever I do, I cant seem to get that. The meat and membrane just wont come off. Can people give me tips?

I do all this cool taxidermy stuff, been doing it for years, yet I can't flesh a pelt

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Many tannery’s will flesh at extra cost , you send hide frozen to them and they do it all

3. yes, have considered taking that route and may do that with my current pelts until i learn to flesh. how much does it normally cost?

4. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Contact the tannery. They are the only ones who can give you a exact answer!

5. Phil Hill

Phil Hill New Member

If this helps I spoke to a gentleman in Phenix City Al who has a tannery (can't remember his name) and he told me he will flesh and turn and wet tan or dry tan.He quoted me a price of around 100.00 to do both(flesh and wet tan) or he will just flesh and turn plus shipping. He also said the turn around time was a little longer for dry tans. If I can find his name and number I will post asap.

6. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Get a skife knife. Use wood balls, wood baseball bats, light bulbs, 2x4's with edge sanded round, etc to wrap the hide around.