1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Slipping Into Despair

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by father time, Dec 1, 2021.

1. father time

father time New Member

Since may, (when the idea first peaked my interest) i have taxidermied two hopper rats, two mice, and three small rats. All from the same pet store, but bought at seperate times. Each small rat has slipped and none of the other ones have. I have used the same method for each one, am fleshing them to the best of my ability, and dry preserving with borax. I dont understand what is different. Is it just coincidence? It doesn't seem that way. This is very frustrating because i put a lot of time and effort into each one and when they slip all of that work is down the drain. I have heard of stop rot and am not looking for that recommendation. Could it be because the rats live longer? Is there a different method use to kill them? Should i just stop doing rats all together? I would like to someday use roadkill i find, but if i can't even get a rat right, how can i expect to do that.

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

If your sure your methodology was the same, it could be something in the nature of the species, their environment and their diet. Gray foxes, for instance are notorious for slipping, particularly around the ears, much more than other species of mammals. It could be your hands working the hides generating heat and facilitating the growth of bacteria. There are many variables, but one, as I mentioned, is the susceptibility of some species more than others. Focus on the species you have greater success with and try new specimens and celebrate your wins rather than despair over the failures.

msestak likes this.

3. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Try tanning them!

4. father time

father time New Member

That has peaked my interest i would like to try that, do you have any recommendations for articles to read about this before i attempt?

5. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Remember a lot has to do with field care. Think of the field care your rats had.... who knows how long they were actually dead before being frozen and they are typically covered in urine or feces. I'm assuming very thin skin as well. I like krowtan for little critters. Just throw them in a little Rubbermaid container with a lid and shake around for a few days. Comes out perfect.

6. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Check the archives. There are many threads covering the subject. Amy Carter posted a good one, look it up