1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Denatured Alcohol Sit Time

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Cbooth22, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Cbooth22

Cbooth22 New Member

How long can a hide sit in denatured alcohol?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Alcohol is not used in tanning as this site is for tanning only but to answer your question a life time.

Mudbat and Richard C like this.

3. Cbooth22

Cbooth22 New Member

I was told to pickle the hide before tanning it and I was also told denatured alcohol works as a Pickler

4. Cbooth22

Cbooth22 New Member

I don't mean that rude either sir, I was just wondering how long it takes to pickle in denatured alcohol

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There are much better pickle recipes than DA for tanning purposes. An acid pickle is preferred by most for tanning.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

He is trying to tell you that DA is not typically used as a pickling agent to tan . A pickling agent will penetrate the hide and plump it up to be shaved thin and change the structure and fibers of the hide to except and hold the tanning agent. DA is more of a preservative not a pickling agent .
    That said if you left it in for 2 weeks I’m sure the hair wouldn’t fall out but it really needs to be thinned out to get full penetration .

7. Cbooth22

Cbooth22 New Member

Ok thank you so much sir

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Breakthrough magazine website has a tanning manual you can purchase that would be helpful. Most taxidermy supply companies sell the manual as well. The supply companies also sell tanning kits that have instructions on how to use them. They would be worth purchasing as well. That's how I started out.

9. Frank E. Kotula

A pickle is acid base that does a few things.
    It plumbs up the hide so it can be shaved thin for mounting.
    It also pulls out non tannable fluids so that the skin absorbs the tan better.
    You can leave a skin in a pickle a lifetime but should be mixed daily so airborne mold don’t grow on it.
    Acid also kills bacteria that causes slippage but if the skin is already damaged nothing really saves that.
    As stated alcohol is only a preservative and not a pickle at all. Whoever or wherever you got that information is misleading you. And don’t worry you’re not being rude as you’re just learning or trying to get proper information.

10. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I believe this is what I basically posted isn’t it. Lol

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  11. Frank E. Kotula

I tried in different terms lol