1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Still Getting Wavy Fins On Crappie!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by slabbandit, Dec 2, 2021.

1. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I know this subject has been discussed many times but I just can't get it right yet. I was using Dermagrip glue and the old silk span without many issues but struggle with the new stuff. I'm still using Dermagrip with lens paper and coffee filters which seems to soak up the glue better than today's silk span.
    I've let my mounts dry for months, sprayed 3 layers of lacquer gloss on first, and still they dry wavy! I'm open to all suggestions, changing glues, materials, methods, whatever I need to try.

2. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I use the cream colored poster board, the stuff that is shinny on one side and a flat finish on the other. Coat the back of the fin and the flat side of the cardboard with contact cement and wait till dry and apply to back of fin. Two coats of altra seal finishes the job. You can't see through it but the fins will not get wavy even over a long period of time.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Spray a light coat of bulls eye shellac on both sides
    Problem will be solved

Cecil and Beltonbanger like this.
  4. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Clew likes this.
  5. Clew

York, SC
    I gaurentee it will work
    In fact I seal my fish entirely with this
    Lowe’s has it
    I buy it buy the case

Cecil and Mudbat like this.
  6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

I always re-card the fins after they dry. Straightens them out and also keeps me from breaking them while I do epoxy work.

Cecil likes this.
  7. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

That's a good idea Jon. I've broken fins before while doing epoxy work.

Cecil likes this.
  8. Clew

York, SC
    I use mod podge on my fins
    4-5 THIN coats
    No breaking fins
    Unless you use the fish for a football

Pikeonthefly likes this.
  9. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

Agree with the Modge podge. I use 2 inch wide clear packing tape on the back of the fins. Apply 2 coats of Modge Podge and let it dry 24 hours. Then you can peel the tape off the backsides and coat. The result is a clear thin natural fin. Splits in fins? No problem. Modge Podge will fill them and the tape will peel away from it.

10. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

Thanks, all great ideas to try.

11. jimss

jimss Active Member

I know it's not what you are asking but if you never want problems with fins and heads use reproductions! Repro fins are life-like and it's possible to heat them up with a hair dryer and bend them so they are even more life-like.

12. wavy fins is caused by the fin soaking up water. Seal the fin with shellac or lacquer. front and back, a couple even three coats, the fin needs to become a bit shinny from the sealer...
    Shellac is getting pricey but I think it works best.

Once the sealer is dry, I next use loctite spray adhesive on the fin a couple light coats.

I still use the 3m polytranspore tape for durability.

pull your tape enough for the fins off the roll, give it a few second to shrink back, use a modeling tool to push the tape into the depressions between the fin rays.
    there are several good products at ace or true value to coat the fins with. clear siliconized latex caulk is what I have used for years. Both water based paint and lacquers stick to it, any gloss will work.

DONOT use SILICONE paitnt will peel.

13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I back fins with surgical tape, trim, then apply latex liquid fins from Van Dyke. Pliable fins and no waviness.