1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear Shoulder Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bruledrift, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

All right guys and gals, I finally decided to do a bear for a friends son. I've done many deer, fish birds, just have not dove into a bear and have a few questions for the bear people. So, I know, Tanning, Send it to a tannery or they will take my birthday away!!! Just not going to happen to this one for cost, it will be done at home and yes I have a fleshing wheel.
    OK,
    1. This is a fall bear so below the neck I can see the hair follicles, no fleshing, correct?
    2. Fat (WOW), fleshed and pushed as much off as I believe I can, what's good to go and what is not enough?
    3. Will the neck/head go to blue on a bear like a deer when shaving?
    4. Degreasing (WOW), during pickle or prior to pickle (best way).
    5. Tan, soak tan or can/will a brush on tan work just as well?

Thanks guys,

2. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

You have started out . . . I guess the way to put it is ignoring the first and most important question you asked or say you understand the TANNING. So lets just get down to it. What good is it going to do for all involved if you try to save them money and the tanning at home part fails and the mount turns out to be crap? Tell them to spend the money and give him a lifetime mount. There's a reason everyone suggests commercial tanning bears. The "WOW" part of the degreasing comment should be big hint! Do yourself a favor and do the first part right and when finished the young man will have a trophy to be proud of for a long time.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Most bear can be pushed clean enough that only very little wheel work needed . Pickle for a few days in a safety acid or basically the same as you would a deer head , if you have a degreasing solution for your pickle, put that in after you wheel it , if not pickle completely, then put a brush on tanning cream on for 6 hours minimal or freeze at this time . ( I use pro 1 tanning system) now you can degrease . Being it’s only a shoulder mount , I think I’d only wash it in dawn to degrease it at first . That should do it if you fleshed it good . Maybe even twice before I tried an agent

4. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Crittrsuffr, yes, I get it. There are others that will say the same about deer also, if you don't send them to a tannery they are crap. I plan on doing more send out tanning when I retire and open a shop.
    13 point, thank you, answers I was looking for. I have degreasers (mckenzie) to use. So pickle, shave then put degreaser in the pickle for the last day of pickling? I generally add the mckenzie softener/degreaser to the softening soak. Some say to degrease multiple times prior to mounting is why I ask.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Get good pickle penetration first before you add degreasing agent to pickle , that’s the way I’ve done it for years with No issues.

Bruledrift likes this.
  6. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Perfact, thanks again 13 point.

7. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

I too ignored everyone about sending to a tannery because I couldn't find one who would accept such a small order plus the bear was small so I tried my hand. I had excellent results. It was a lot of work but was worth it in the end because it's my personal piece. Certainly wouldn't be profitable for business. I also have a Dakota fleshing machine. I fleshed, salted and drained (I think helps get any fat you missed), into the pickle, shave, back into pickle with degreaser, neutralize, brush on tan, rinse and wash. I washed mine in dawn and then tide. Not conventional but I give a light wash with shampoo after mounting to give a prettier finish and spray with chi dog conditioning spray. I had zero issues with slippage, grease, or anything else. My husband says it's the most natural looking mount in the house and there are lots from different taxidermists.

8. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

It was an answer that was based on my opinion only. Of course I wish you the best of luck. Mandi if you need one try Wildlife Gallery they have no minimum for orders they except. Stay safe all