1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pre Mount Antler Cleaning

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nick1176, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

This may be a dumb question but I figured I would get some good advice. I have mounted a handful of whitetails so far. I generally take a brass brush and brush off the tree bark and dirt from the the bases of the antlers. Then I wipe off the blood and obvious dirt but I never give them a good cleaning. Should I? Thanks for the input ahead of time.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I simply spray any blood off and let dry.

Jackson1814 likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I was doing an antler mount, I cleaned all the dirt, bark, moss, etc off it and cleaned all blood and dirt of with a wet rag.

If I was doing a shoulder mount, I would leave all the dirt, bark, etc on the antlers as it added to the realism. I would still remove the blood off of them, but, that bark and dirt were on there when it was alive, so, I left it on.

An antler mount is more of a decoration thing warenting the total removal of the dirt and debris, whereas the shoulder mount is depicting the deer as it was in the woods warenting leaving it as it was.

livbucks, Jordan Park and drob like this.
  4. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

Thank you for advice guys. I appreciate it.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

X 2 … I remove blood, but pretty. I have leave everything else for a more natural look.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Spray it down with winded real heavy , blood just rolls off , rinse repeat if needed . I don’t remove bark and such , just the stuff the hunter put on it .

7. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Blood yes, bark and etc at base no. Most ask if I can leave that on anyway.