1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Horse Ears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by drpiper, Dec 3, 2021.

1. drpiper

drpiper New Member

I have the top of a recently-dead horse's hide in my freezer. (First washed with cold water and dish soap to get the blood off, and fleshing started.)

I feel reasonably comfortable with the idea of tanning the flat parts under the mane and forelock and fur, I've done raccoons and such and figure it's probably not that different (if anybody knows otherwise, please say!)

My question is what do I do with the ears? Do I cut them apart and tan them flat?

Are they likely to be small enough to preserve in salt or borax if I separate them from the rest of the hide?

Thanks for any advice
    --Piper

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

You need to turn then or split them like a deer ear . Turning them inside out but without splitting them open . Start by skinning Around the ear butt getting the meat off and follow the cartilage up turning it inside out . If you don’t have them , get yourself a pair of ear openers and use them to help . Not sure what else to tell ya .

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Definitely need to be turned or split. There are video tutorials that demonstrate turning ears. If your goal is to simply tan the hide, I would remove the ear cartilage as well after turning them inside out.

4. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

MD
    I learned this lesson the hard way as a newbie. Ears not completely turned will lose hair (aka “slip”). Turning the ears allows the pickle and tan to penetrate. It’s a must.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

When I did a doe deer hide flat with head much like a zebra rug, I Removed the cartilage after tanning and when I stretched and dried it I dried them laying flat on the hide in a natural look. If you look at a zebra skin rug that has the head, that is what it looked like. Leather boarder too.