1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine..

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Newbie1, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Just bought a new fleshing machine. I've seen them used, but I never used one. Any good tips? I have deer hide scrapes to practice on. Thank you

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes DONT CUT YOURSELF,
    Table or mini hand ?

3. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

It's a table type flesher. I've used the mini flesher. Just couldn't get hides thin enough. So, I bought a different flesher. I know I have a lot to learn on one.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yep , there’s a lot of videos out there , watch a bunch , but don’t try to immolate there methods. Practice and find out what works for you . It will give your back shoulders and hands a work out

drwalleye likes this.
  5. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Invest in a good pair of gloves. I was hit or miss wearing them til I got the tip of my finger on the last pass on a hide. It's still kinda numb.

livbucks likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Count all your fingers before and after fleshing...it you come up with a fraction less than when you started, you are on the road to success in fleshing!

tem likes this.
  7. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I use dowellife cut resistant gloves. Protective but this and flexible enough to work with. Watch some videos and setting up, tuning and sharpening; and on how to make the passes over the blade. Then practice on the scraps as much as you can before trying a customer’s hide. It will prove to be an excellent investment!

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

D. Price has on line videos you can purchase that will cover it all. I think it might be fleshingmachines.com.

D.Price and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Exactly if you really wanna see an excellent setup for beginners to those that think they know how to run a wheel properly get his video. Lots of great knowledge for youWww.fleshingmachines.com

D.Price likes this.
  10. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Best way to learn is as mentioned above, watch all the video's on youtube (there is a good one that is like 6 parts) so you know how to set up, move the hide across the blade, tuning/sharpening the blade, sewing fingers back on, and best insurance policy's!!! Not that bad, just don't drift off or have someone bugging you while doing it, pay attention to fingers and blade. Then start going. Don't be too light on the tension of the hide between your hands, they have a tendency to grab and suck down into the deeper cut portion at the bottom that you will learn about in the video's. Oh, watch the eye's when you ar anywhere near them, I guess they can get grabbed by accident:D

ARUsher likes this.