1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Is This?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Newbie1, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Started skinning this deer and found this. The entire way around the lower jaw was complete gristle. Once I made my cut to release the skin from the jawbone it was hard to pull the skin out away from the jawbone because of the gristle. Normally the skin pulls away and it's a quick job. About every cut I made there was puss come out. Once I finally got the hide released from the jaw bone I tried to trim what meat/gristle I could. Everything was puss or puss pockets the entire way. Anyone got any ideas? I've notified the customer to let him know there may not be any saving this hide....

Attached Files:

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Bad infection, if you take ur time and get it fleshed you should be ok , then again I’ve had some just fall to pcs , not excepting the tan . Good luck, thousand different reasons of what could have caused it .

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021

3. Newbie1

Newbie1 New Member

Thanks for the reply. It's not looking too promising on being able to save it. The puss goes right down to the hair follicles all throughout the entire chin area and towards the throat patch. I honestly can't see it holding a tan. The 2 holes showing were scabs with big puss pockets inside.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yep it’s a 50/50 chance . Probably a tooth infection started it , deer most likely wouldn’t have made it thru winter

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I'd give it a shot. It might come through the tan.

3bears likes this.
  6. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Very well could be the result of fighting - an antler likely gouged him in the mouth. I’ve seen quite a few like that actually. I’ve yet to lose a cape from it though. Personally, I would sure try to tan it.

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Sew the chin from a donor cape onto it.