1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetles After They Are Done

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by drwalleye, Dec 5, 2021.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I finally found a guy to do my skulls with beetles. He says when I get them back I may need to boil them for a while to finish up what they didn't get. What should I expect with beetles skulls and what is the process once I get them back? Straight into degreasing tank? He says he boils them in oxy clean for a half hour and then finished. I don't think I believe that. Any help with this is greatly appreciated thank you

2. I’m still new to beetles so someone may know better than me, but the whole point of beetles to me is so that you don’t have to boil the skulls. If your going to have to boil them afterwords why not just boil them from the beginning and not even use the beetles? Everything I have taken out of my beetle tank has been picked clean and is ready to be degreased.

3. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Great that's what I thought but I never seen one done so I didn't know what to expect thanks

Beast+Bone likes this.
  4. No problem. Here is one fresh out of my beetles, it’s wet in the picture because my degreasing tank is full so I just keep them hydrated while they wait but nothing has been done other than beetles 2E118336-C23B-497C-83E7-B199BE7B20EE.jpeg

The Happy Hunter and Mudbat like this.
  5. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Wow that's awesome how long does it take to get it like that?

6. My colony isn’t very big yet so this took just over a week, but a good sized colony will do it in about 24 hours

drwalleye likes this.
  7. Elkarcher

Elkarcher Member

Alaska
    You should not have to boil their skulls after they are beetled. If they are Beetle correctly your should be picked clean minus a few small pieces. The only way you will get meat left on your skull is if the skull was taken out of the Beatles too early. I have a colony of over a million and it takes them roughly a week to complete 10 to 15 skulls.

drwalleye likes this.
  8. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Im going to pick up my first batch tonight cant wait to see what they look like Thanks

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You found a very bad cleaner. Find someone else. If a skull is beetle cleaned properly you don't boil it afterwards. That is the whole point of using beetles.

Post some photos of what you get back. They should look like the photo B&B posted.

joeym and Elkarcher like this.
  10. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I got them back last night and there was stuff on them yet. Like right on the tip of the two nasal bones. So, the bugs eat all the cartilage and everything? so do I just tell him to leave them in longer? could that be the problem? they aint bad but nothing like the above pictures. I will try to figure out how to post pictures

11. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Was this skull directly out of the beetles or did you wash it off? it looks very wet. the ones I got back last night were in the back of his truck for a bit so they were dry and frozen.

12. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The photo of that skull above is what you should get. It's wet but anything bugged should be stripped that well. Possibly, he isn't keeping the tissue hydrated and letting dry rock hard to the bugs avoid it.

As for photos, upload them to the postimage.org website for free and put links to the images here.

13. Kevin Strock

Kevin Strock Member

I use beetles and they will clean a deer in about 24 hours. I then soak in cold water for 24 hours to pull any blood stains then I degrease.