1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bleaching Bison Issue With Basic White And 12% Hydrogen Peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jason The Blessed, Dec 6, 2021.

1. I have tried twice bleaching this skull by mixing Basic white and 12% hydrogen peroxide into a thick paste and paint it on. The first time I put it in a bag and put it in the sun on a 90 degree plus day most of the day. The next time I wrapped it in saran wrap then put it in a large black bag then into my car on a sunny 70 degree day for 6 hours..... Yet its still an ugly orangish off white color. Id really like to finish it soon to give to my son and am out of "good" ideas. Paper plate to show true white IMG_4066.jpg

2. i would try using iron out. dissolve some in hot water. take a cloth or brush and baste it really good and repeat as it dries out. this has worked for me on numerous occasions. once you use iron out do not put hydrogen peroxide on the skull again as the stain color will return. you should see some results in a short time. let dry overnight and that should do it if it is going to work.

3. Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes Active Member

MD
    Have you thought of staining or painting the horns?
    I think the skull looks great. Pure white isn’t necessary for this to look great.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I'm not gonna lie here. All steer skulls I do get painted with flat white metal primer. It's not impossible to bleach them pure white, but very improbable in most cases.

5. i've been able to get longhorns and bison very white just like i do deer skulls.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I would get a tub the whole skull can fit in and soak it in 40volume peroxide, for a week or so . That gets to the other side of the bone being submerged. Take the empty bottles and fill with water and put them in tub also to raise the level .

7. Ill look into iron out. ive never heard of it. Thanks man!

8. I built a box that fit around the skull lined it with plastic and filled it with 3% H202 for a month to get all the small pieces off but the box still took a little over 7 gallons to get above the forehead. And thats filling the empty spaces with bottle like you suggested.... Have any other ideas to use less H2O2 as the cheapest Ive found it at 12% is $25 a gallon

9. The horns have caps that I need to sand sand oil. perhaps the coolest/unique part of the buffalo skull! IMG_4068.jpg

10. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Try not sanding the caps. Just rub them down with a clean rag and a mix of 50/50 turpentine and linseed oil.

As for the skull, that orange looks like Iron stains. Use a trash can or plastic bin it will fit into and try soaking it for a few hours in a solution of Iron Out. What I use came from the hardware store and is a white powder ... not a liquid. Not sure if the powder is still made. If the Iron Out removes that color .. do NOT soak it in peroxide again. If that doesn't change it .. get the caps on it and call it quits. Actually, it looks pretty good and I think the caps will cover most of the orange area on the horn cores.

11. Do you use the outdoor iron out that is used on concrtete and vinyl or the toilet cleaner?

12. Sea Wolf

No. What I had was for use in the laundry. I think the other types would be too harsh or strong for bone. I have never tested those types. But I have used the laundry one with great success.

13. Thanks so much to all you guys! Wish I would have joined this forum years ago....Ill post pictures of how it turns out with Iron Out.

Skullery likes this.
  14. Sea Wolf

Try the linseed oil/turp mix on the horns and let dry. You may not want to sand them at all after that as it really brings out the color. If you still want to sand them after, it won't change anything.

15. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

16. I could not be happier with the skull now. Left in Iron Out for 1.5 hours and she came out perfect!! I also put 50/50 turpentine and linseed oil on horns without sanding and left them in the sun for a few days to get the turpentine smell out. It brought out the natural darkness of the horns without the shininess if I had sanded them, which I really like. Thank you all very much for your help with an extra thank you to Sea Wolf Bison Skull.jpg

17. Sea Wolf

Yer welcome. And thank George for the turp trick. I learned that from him. Share what you learn here with others. It's what this site is for.

18. jimss

jimss Active Member

Wow that turned out gorgeous! I REALLY like the natural look! Horns don't look too shiny and fake and the skull looks incredibly natural white!

19. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

So you whitened the skull with peroxide and then you put it in iron out for 1.5 hours but did not put back in peroxide? I want to make sure I get this correct. I have a skull that has a lot of blood stains and it just want get super white like I want. Did you heat the iron out or just cold water?
    Thanks

20. Sea Wolf

There is a post on here that I did about a pot belly pig. Try searching for "pot belly pig cyclone" to find it. Read through the entire thread and the photos along with it.

cyclone likes this.