1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Is The Real Value?

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by Juan, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Juan

Juan New Member

Italy
    Hi everyone! I am a young collector and i am new in the forum. I hope I am writing in the right place. I have two questions for you.
    1) I decided to buy a nice skull (something more expensive compared to my standards). What is the skull you suggest me to buy? Something important that you guys think every collector needs to have in his collection?
    2) I was considering tiger, what can be a reasonable price for a tiger skull? In good condition and let's say 30-35 cm?
    Thank you all in advance!!

2. e101011

e101011 Member

earth
    Something is worth what someone will pay for it. A tiger, $1,500 is probably reasonable. That said, be aware of the laws and know who you’re buying from. You don’t want to get ripped off, or worse yet risk being fined.

3. Erimidi Igor

Erimidi Igor Member

Hello, at the moment I am making a complete skeleton of a tiger, if you may be interested, let me know. thanks

4. Juan

Juan New Member

Italy
    Erimidi, I am actually looking for a tiger skull in Europe, so if you have one I might be interested. Can I ask you just as an information what can be the price for a complete skeleton? Thanks

5. Juan

Juan New Member

Italy
    Sure! Thank you for the reply!!

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If, as you say, you are in Europe, then what you have for laws are a great deal different than in the USA. They are also much better for collectors. Look for something unusual. One of the big cats, great apes would be the more difficult ones to obtain. Very large bears are easier to come by. You can import small whale and sea mammal skulls from Canada. Occasionally, I see Narwhal skulls for sale complete with the tusk and that would be something I would like to have.

7. Juan

Juan New Member

Italy
    Sea Wolf, thank you for the reply. I agree with you and I would like all the items you mentioned! Honestly I am pretty new in this field and I am struggling to get in touch with people selling nice pieces here in Europe.
    Also, for money reasons I decided to proceed by steps, I want to find a tiger skull now (this is a dream since I was a child), and then I will look for something else!

Next steps will definetly be bear and walrus! I have never seen a small whale for sale but It would be amazing to see one!

8. Sea Wolf

Not unobtainable. The walrus is actually over 9000 years old though. Excavated from a pit in Alaska. The other one is a pilot whale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

e101011 likes this.
  9. Juan

Juan New Member

Italy
    Those look amazing thanks for sharing the pics! Can I ask you more n less the price range for this kind of things?

10. Sea Wolf

For a full, intact walrus, expect to pay $2000 or more. A lot depends on how big the tusks are as they are valuable. A skull with no tusks can be as cheap as a few hundred. As for the pilot whale, or any smaller whale or dolphin, possibly thousands depending on condition. In Europe, possibly much less if you find one. The ones I have, I collected myself before the Marine Mammal act and even prepped some for a marine aquarium that I worked at at the time.

11. Juan

Juan New Member

Italy
    Amazing. I was expecting more n less the same prices! Now I added to my goals the whale skull too!!