1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can’t Get Smell Out Of A Steer Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Allie Sage, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Allie Sage

Allie Sage New Member

I bought a “cleaned and painted” steer skull, come to find out it still has skin and a horrible smell. I’ve soaked it in hydrogen peroxide, scrubbed off all of the remains I found, and it’s currently air drying, but I can still faintly smell it. I by no means understand any of this, can anyone give me any pointers that the average Joe can do? Thanks in advance!
    (Also it’s having to soak in my guest tub so keep this in mind…)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

Ammonia helps with the smell.

3. Allie Sage

Allie Sage New Member

I’ll have to try that! Thank you. Do you dilute it or let it soak fully in ammonia?

4. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

I normally dilute it, just so it goes farther, but haven't noticed any issues with straight ammonia.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Not only a major "Yuck" but also a source for insects you don't want in your house to get a free ride there. Submerge completely and soak in water that you have added detergent (dawn dish detergent will do). A healthy shot of straight ammonia will also help. Assuming you submerge it in a trash can (Plastic Rubbermaid type. Takes less water than your tub) at least a half gallon will not hurt. Neither will the whole gallon. Don't buy the colored type, just plain. Let it soak ... for at least two weeks if not more. It won't hurt the bone but your paint job will probably be toast. Take it out and give it a good look over. Any loose bits of flesh and hide should be softened enough that you can pull or cut off the parts you can get at. I assume it has horns? If the bone cores are not cut to expose the insides, they are hollow and full of nasty, rotted crap. If it has the outer horns, cut the ends off the interior bone cores to expose the insides prior to soaking.

Pictures of what you are dealing with always help. Upload them to postimage.org for free and put the links to them here. If that skull has a lot of flesh and possibly brain matter left inside, you are going to have to end up soaking it in heated water for a while to finish the rotting process to get the stuff out of there