1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yellowing On A Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by 11PYBOWHUNTER, Dec 7, 2021.

1. How do I get around yellowing on a skull? Boiled, picked, boiled again then used salon 40 paste for about 2 hours outside then washed off. When it dried, I washed it again and it’s still yellow with small patches of white. Any ideas how to make it white at this point, without painting? Any ideas why this one yellowed when the rest turned out great?

2. Tnrandy

Tnrandy Active Member

My experience when I "boiled" was I had to leave the peroxide on longer than 2 hours. I usually leave it on 24-48 hours. Probably a lot of grease in the skull, and it may not turn fully white unless you degrease it. Best of luck.

3. QBD

QBD Active Member

Simple answer.....you want a skull to be white and stay white, Get the Grease Out. Lots of info on here about degreasing skulls.

And, IMO, boiling is not a good way to remove the soft tissue and definitely makes getting the grease out much more difficult.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

You cooked the grease into the skull. Try soaking it in a detergent solution for a while. As above, lots of info on here about degreasing a skull, temps to use and what to use.