1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New Mount Question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Michael R Jones, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Long story short, I didn't go to my normal taxidermist due to the processor misunderstanding me and he started mount. When I went to pick meat up he was under the impression he was doing mount so against my gut I let him do it. Sadly it only took a month to get it back. I can definitely see issues with it. the hair is sticking up by the mouth. How can I fix this?? everything I am reading says card it?? What do i pin it down with? The other issue I found is the mohawk on the back of the neck. Looks like he also didn't sew up the cut all the way and there is a small gap. I was able to get the hair to flatten down here with warm water. I can live with gap b/c I'm only one that knows. Any help with the hair by the lips would be greatly appreciated.

mount.jpg Mount2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

For one the gap you speak if most likely will get bigger , probably Dry preserved and not tanned , and not done correctly. No hide paste was, used . By the pictures you can tell he has no clue on how to mount a deer or is very new at this . He has the lip line over tucked which in turn changed the hair pattern of what should be there and why it’s sticking up . You could try some hair gel , putting it on heavy and carding it with pins . You should take it back and have him fix it but I have a feeling the hair around the lip line will come out as it looks bad already . Lastly take it to the taxidermist you were going to use and ask him to fix . I have a feeling there was no misunderstanding he just said that to be able to mount your deer. Bet you only pd $350 or less didn’t ya . I’d tell him to take my rack out give me my money back , buy a new cape and have it done correctly.

3. I wish I paid only that. Unfortunately I paid $500 for this mount. Supposedly he does 30 mounts a year. I can't feel any paste in the gap. I will bring it to the guy who did my first one and see if he can fix it. My gut was telling me not to use him. might turn into a fight to get my money back.

4. 13 point

That’s what the courts are for

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

This.

6. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Always gonna be dry preservatives fault. ALWAYS!! What's really wrong is lack of experience and poor stitching.

msestak and Mandi like this.
  7. 13 point

Read what I said about it , did not down it , I said and not done correctly. Tanned or DP they still need to be done correctly, with hide paste and such . I don’t like DP and will never use it , but in this case you assumed and didn’t read .

George likes this.
  8. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Didnt assume anything, you said probably dp.

9. 13 point

You assumed I was busting on it , and I got that from your statement. So let’s just get it over with , Dry Preserve should never be used on a big game mount , and it will never hold up or compare to a tanned mount . People that use DP are just to cheap to do it correctly with a tanned cape . There ya go now you have something to bitch about .

Mudbat and Richard C like this.
  10. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

All I can say is 500.00? Wow!!! Lots wrong with it for sure, no clay work around the eye's either.

11. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Man my work is way under priced!

12. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

All that 13 point said plus I’ll bet it never saw a shaving wheel. There is a lot more wrong than you know. Post better photos of it and you will get the skinny on it from the deer taxidermists on this site. 500.00 is cheep today and in the past also. A deer head today done correctly needs to be $1500.00. You have to realize and understand there are NO Standards at all in taxidermy. It’s a free for all mostly because Joe Hunter spends big bucks on his truck guns license and then gets fish hooks in his pocket when its time to mount his “trophy” , also they don’t know what a deer looks like. They only look at the antlers, by the way very nice antlers. If I was you I would have a qualified taxidermist remove the antlers and you bring the head minus antlers back and get a refund. Have it remounted with a new cape by a qualified taxidermist. Post photos of you other taxidermist’s deer and we will let you know if you should have him redo it.

msestak and 13 point like this.
  13. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I’ve seen worse. The mouth is an easy fix. Place the mouth in a bucket of water overnight, pull out the lips, and re-tuck. The nostrils will have to be re- finished also. For $500, you are being picky, IMO. 99.9% of the e population look at it and see a nice deer mount.

Westcoast, livbucks and 15pt like this.
  14. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    This!!

15. Richard C

16. Richard C

99.9,that’s the problem. That one tenth of one percent look at it and think, that’s a train wreck.

17. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    That 1/10 should mount there own deer!

Tnrandy likes this.
  18. 13 point

Some ain’t going to like what I’m going to say but oh well , that is the problem with our trade , most that are putting that kinda mount out or think it’s fine, are the ones that have no pride in what they are doing or our trade . Taxidermist and taxidermy has always got a bad wrap , why because of nasty looking mounts that don’t even represent the animal it is . It looks like something that put its paw in an electric socket . Most shops stink and are disorganized and dirty . So our trade is not represented to benefit us and what we do and it’s a damn shame . Nothing should be well that’s not to bad , the client won’t care , or even no the difference. If you think that way you shouldn’t be doing this . I’d be will to bet if you wrecked your truck and the body shop just filled the issue with body putty and painted it , it was I little wavy , but looks close to what it was . I don’t think you would be happy , or if they rigged something cause you had no clue how it was supposed to be , you were trusting the body shop to do you right . No difference then the hunter , he is trusting you to give him a top notch product. If you think just ok is exceptable then that just shows what kind of person you really are and what you think and do in life . If I every get to the point of that’s good enough I’ll quit

tem, Crowkiller, ARUsher and 2 others like this.
  19. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Active Member

You look at the numbers of mounts some take in and do the simple math . . . 450 plus deer heads with 365 days to get them done within a year. Now that's only deer not adding in small game, waterfowl, other big game and upland birds. This is why some put out the work that they do. It becomes a assembly line just to keep up or at least try. This is why it's suggested to raise your prices so your making the same money with less mounts, less mounts mean more time to add the details and do the job you'll be proud of. Some I think judge success by the bragging of numbers they take in not the quality. My name has always meant more to me than numbers of mounts and 13 your right been at this for 40 plus years and still never completely happy so I always strive to do the next one a little better. YES I understand you have to numbers to make a living but pride and price will get the same results of the bottom line. Just my 2 cents

tem, ARUsher, Richard C and 1 other person like this.
  20. Richard C

They do. That’s why McK and others sell to anyone along with all the how to videos. Taxidermy is the ultimate unprofessional profession. This is a ceramics business with fir, feathers and scales.

tem likes this.