1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail Critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nick1176, Dec 12, 2021.

1. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

Started mounting deer last year and this is my personal best so far in my opinion. Any critiques or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

Looks like the throat patch is off center. Could be the angle of the photo. Your antlers are set too high. Though there are always exceptions, the antlers generally should run on a plane from the corner of the nose through the front corner of the eye. I take 4 measurements before I skin the deer out to make sure I get them set properly. The ear butts are long, not the correct shape, and a little too far down on the back of the neck. The ears look like dog ears. I’m assuming you used clay for the ear butts? Push those ears down into the clay and move them up closer to the base of the antlers and be sure to make a smooth transition underneath the hide from the clay butts to the ear. Maybe not enough clay. It’s hard to tell. Can’t tell much about the eyes without better pics. Study live reference and hold that reference up to what your trying to recreate. I’ve been at it for 15 years and I still use reference and refer to it several time when mounting. Keep at it! Hope this helps.

3. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

This is what this buck looked like. Really tall rack. I used McKenzie ear butts and ear liners. I was having a hard time figuring out where the ear butts should be placed on the manikin. So the ear butts need to be higher? You said they are not the right shape but they are pre molded. Think I turned them to much or something?

Attached Files:

4. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

He is really tall. Looking at your trail cam pic, I still think the antlers are tipped too far forward. Ear butts need to be higher and closer to the antler bases. You may have turned them too much. Since they’re pre molded, the shape is correct. Something’s going on with them. They sure don’t look right. They look pretty rough. I just can’t tell from the pics

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’m not going to get into it to deep right now but the rack is to far up look at your field cam pic the deers head is angled down, nose more to the ground . Now look at your mount the head is up , nose is more level and yet the rack is about in the same position up . His rack is tall but if you could reach in that picture and lift his nose up the rack would lay back more . All that said most hunter want to see that rack so , unless it is a competition mount I will sometimes set rack forward also , it’s really not that big of a deal . Unless you want lifelike . That said from your post just because you use a certain product doesn’t make it right , it still has to be used correctly. The last thing I’m going to say for now is , you ask for critiques and at the same time I feel you feel this mount is your best and you feel it’s better then it is . And it’s hard for you to hear and take the criticism , as you have already answered of why it is like that . For not doing to many mounts it’s not that bad , you will be doing a great mount in the near future. But to do that just listen to what your being told , look at it take notes look at reference pics and don’t make the same mistakes the next time . Don’t make excuses on why or because. Everything has a reference, he said your ear butts are to low to fix that learn the reference points and basics , like 95% of the time and you can use calibers but the ear butt is no wider then the ear is wide . So if you put calibers on the butt base at the head and then put the calibers at the width at widest spot of the blade it’s going to be very very close . Hair patterns are another thing ,look at reference pics and learn how the hair lays around the burrs and top of eyes , at the lip line and such it’s those things that make a good mount become a great mount . Mouth shut and listen no excuses but questions are good . Use critiques as a lesson and not personal attack . Your close , keep at it

6. Westcoast

Westcoast Well-Known Member

What jumps off the page at me is what has already been stated. The forehead skin is bunched up from incorrect antler placement. Ear placement and earbutt anatomy is completely incorrect as well. If you are really looking to improve your taxidermy then you need to study deer anatomy. Plain and simple. 90% of what is wrong with your deer is incorrect anatomy. Until you get that figured out, your deer will never be convincing. Hope this helps

7. Westcoast

Westcoast Well-Known Member

Also, when you get a deer in, study everything you can. Take measurements, take pictures, draw pictures, see where things connect and how things are shaped. Study the skulls points of reference. It’s as simple as recreating what you are seeing, but you have to study to find these nuggets of information.

8. Nick1176

Nick1176 New Member

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions. I wasn’t intentionally being defensive or not accepting criticism. I posted it on here because I want to hear what needs to be fixed and I now I know. I really do appreciate the help and I will try and solve my ear troubles on my next mount.

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The angle of the rack doesnt bother me really. What sticks out to me is the ear butts. If you push the position of them up higher, you will gain back the amount of skin you need to create the correct size and musculature. You are being held to a high standard by asking these guys to critique. The average person viewing your mount would think it's the best they ever saw. Keep that in mind.

Nick1176 likes this.