1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Biggest Advances In Bird Taxidermy ?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Crowkiller, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Crowkiller

Crowkiller Member

Ohio
    Hello,
    I've been out of the scene for a while .
    What are the biggest advancments in the art of bird taxidermy in the past 10 years ?
    Thanks

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Shane Smith bird bodies, Walnut Hollow turkey tail panels and turkey tail alignment sheets (I forget the name). Bird taxidermy lends its self well to minimal materials to produce a quality mount.

Crowkiller likes this.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Get a bunch of different supply catalogs and go through them should also give you a good idea of new products.

Crowkiller likes this.
  4. Crowkiller

Crowkiller Member

Ohio
    Thanks .
    I'm getting ready to re-enter the world of taxidermy full time after a brief absence.
    Someone told me so much had changed ?

5. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

The biggest thing I believe is the wealth of knowledge that's shared compared to years ago when folks would never share the little tricks and how too's. The video's and DVD's plus YouTube and forums like this one it's literately a click away. Bodies, artificial heads and the bases for mounts are fantastic but useless with out the knowledge to put then to work for you. It's all right there then your talent is all that's needed to give your customers a bird you can be proud to put your name on. Same is true for all species you care to mount. Good luck and welcome back.

GotHonks, BrookeSFD16 and Crowkiller like this.
  6. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Critterstuffr hit it on the head …. A lot more sharing from the great ones has been the biggest thing I’ve noticed , back when I started bird Taxidermy nobody would help you out , so different these days with plenty of great info being shared . I guess the wire wheel and cast heads would be the game changing moments of my time doing bird taxidermy .. defeating with scissors really sucked .. did I mention it really sucked … time consuming as heck and tedious .. if it weren’t for the wire wheel coming to the scene I’d probably gave up doing birds cus using scissors to defat was such a pain ..

7. Kostyniuk-outdoors

Kostyniuk-outdoors Alberta free and proud

Canada
    As a beginner... I'd have to say the Matt smith blue ribbon birds dvds hands down. Wish they were available 10 years ago when I tried my hand at taxidermy the first time.