1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

High Temp Maceration

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by blindluck, Dec 14, 2021.

1. blindluck

blindluck Active Member

Had an interesting experience macerating a mule deer.
    Skinned the head removed jaw and eyes. Accidentally had the heat source turned up to 180 degrees. Noticed it about 14 hours later turned it back down to 95. Now day 3 the skull is totally finished. Total maceration time was 72 hours. Normal time for me at 95 deg is about 7 days.

Tnrandy likes this.
  2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

180 is close to boiling so for that length of time it was effectively simmered (cooked). 14 hours is a long time at that temp. At that temp there isn't any bacteria working, the tissue is being broken down by heat. After degreasing and whitening would be curious to see pictures and if you have any bone degradation after that.

" Slow simmers are generally closer to 185 degrees and characterized by a lack of motion. Bubbles will be barely visible and the water won't move much at all, making this a good choice for many dishes that require longer, slower cooking."

3. blindluck

blindluck Active Member

I agree, and I’m curious to know myself I know that the skull currently is still tight and looks normal but only time will tell I will post pictures when completed