1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine Vs Fleshing Beam?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by zachb1994, Dec 18, 2021.

1. zachb1994

zachb1994 Active Member

I have a fleshing machine. Thats what i use to flesh everything with. So should i get a fleshing beam to or just stick with what i have. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a fleshig beam? Thanks!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use both, the beam to flesh raw skins I can control the mess better and I use a machine for thinning pickled/tanned hides. If you already flesh raw skins with machine why bother with a beam?

zachb1994 likes this.

3. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I flesh everything on a beam. Advantages: no aggravating machine to deal with. Disadvantages: an aggravating sore arm to deal with.

3bears and zachb1994 like this.
  4. zachb1994

zachb1994 Active Member

videos ive watched its seems that you can flesh faster on the beam. thats the only reason i was considering the beam and so it wouldnt wear my machine out as fast.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Both , your not going to get a deer cape as thin and even on a beam as you can on a machine.

zachb1994 likes this.
  6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is faster for me to rough flesh a raw skin on the beam and I almost never cut a hole that way but have more times than I cared while trying to flesh a raw skin on the machine.

zachb1994 likes this.
  7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I agree with ya , I don’t rough flesh a green cape on a machine, it’s a beam on green and machine after pickle . But I will suggest if you are going to try a green cape on the machine try rubbing it down with DP , throw a little more on as you go , that will help with cutting holes .

zachb1994 and 3bears like this.
  8. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    I gave up the beam for a pressure washer and turbo nozzle. I thin with a machine. I like the way the pressure washer gets all the blood out of the hide.

ARUsher, Westcoast and zachb1994 like this.
  9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I bet that works good but I am on the other side of the country and it is way too damn cold to be outside pressure washing anything. I have seen videos of it being done and it looks good.

zachb1994 likes this.
  10. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Neoprene waders here, but would be tough where your at.

3bears likes this.
  11. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

For me with a bad shoulder I’ll stick to the wheel. It’s way better but that’s JMO

zachb1994 likes this.