1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Truth About Oregon Bobcats

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by January, Dec 27, 2021.

1. January

January Active Member

Heres the truth about Oregon bobcats....The bobcats in Oregon are divided into 3 geographical areas...the coast range bobcats are generally brown on the back with reddish underfur, and not all of them prime..but there are a few nice cats there......The cascades bobcats are generally very pretty cats, heavily furred, and some of them sell well on the fur market..some finish western..they also make great taxidermy specimens.....Centeral and eastern Oregon cats generally finish in the western category and sell for well over a thousand dollars on the fur market....
    I fealt a need to clear the air on Oregon cats since some on here have denegrated them to the point that everybody but fur buyers see them as worthless...youve been lied to by money hungry people who have their own self interest at heart..ie...they cant stand up to the competition..so they feel a need to denegrate it.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have seen this myself in the bobcats I have seen in the Oregon wildernesses.

The majority of the bobcats that I have seen live and also have mounted from the coast were reddish to dark brown with faint spots. I like pronounced spotting, however, the coastal cats still look pleasing to me.

I have seen one that was so dark brown it was nearly black with dark black spots. I was less than 10 yards from the cat and watched for several minutes.

Several years later, I was about 20 yards from a bobcat that was about one shade less than black and so dark no spot could be seen. I observed it through 10 power binos for several minutes as it rolled around and pawed at some thing on the ground.

The ones I have seen and done from the Cascades seemed to be a lot lighter with good spots and the eastern ones seemed to have the best spots.

3. January

January Active Member

There are some nice cats in the coast range..heres a pic of one taken 3 or 4 yrs ago near Remote Oregon..about 35 miles from the beach....excellent taxidermy specimen.

Attached Files:

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty cat. They don't show the spotting on their backs that the lighter ones do, however, they are still nice cats. I have one on my wall that is a lot like this one. If I take pics of it, the spots on the back show up much more than they do just by viewing it with the naked eye.

5. January

January Active Member

And here are 3 cascade bobcats for contrast to the coast range cats..some pretty cats and a variety of colors and markings..some just look like regular old bobcats from anywhere, but most dont

Attached Files:

6. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Had a coast cat that was bright red, color of rust, with cedar-colored spots and a bright white belly. One of the strangest cats I’ve seen. It was the bobcat version of a red coyote.

That said, I’ve also seen cats in the Coast Range with heavy spotting like an ocelot. Not great fur quality during the time of year I saw it, but it was absolutely a stunner in terms of spotting!

7. January

January Active Member

Ive heard its difficult to bring out the spotting on longer furred cats...that may or may not be true , i really dont know..but i know when a cat is alive it has the ability to manipulate its hairs all as one and perhaps individually..which gives some of the cats i catch a metallic blue color...all that being said..there are some truely good taxidermists out the that can bring all that spotting out in a cat.

8. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I just purchased a Bobcat from 'Moscow Hide and Fur', taken from Western Oregon ... the western slope of the Cascades ... it has extra super heavy winter fur, and case skinned. It's a beautiful specimen and will mount up to a gorgeous mount. I like them! I particularly like the color and pattern - or lack of pattern - on the upper part of the animal. The belly is nicely spotted ... not overly so, but this is the color coat of Bobcat I have always loved! ;) I see nothing wrong with Bobcats from Oregon! I think they're gorgeous.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then right after I bought this guy, I was able to buy a giant Bobcat taken in Idaho by another Trapper. This one is a beast! I really like the more plain Bobcats.[​IMG]
    Yeah, he's a big one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022