1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Achieving Alder Color On Black Tail Antlers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by blindluck, Dec 28, 2021.

1. blindluck

blindluck Active Member

Can anyone help with achieving the paint combination to replicate the look of a black tail that’s rubbed alders. Kinda reddish look. Here is a pic of what I’m thinking of AC813FE8-BEFA-4C00-AC4F-B054EC87861F.jpeg

2. Westcoast

Westcoast Well-Known Member

It’s impossible to tell you a color combination. You just have to play a little bit to get the color that you want. Think about exactly why in nature the antler is the color that it is, and replicate that. The color that the alder leaves when rubbed is the color that you seek. The deers antler color is a direct reflection of what color forage they are rubbing their antlers on. I hope this helps in some way

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Look into oils like Windsor and Newton. Umbers, Indian red siennas will get you there but as stated you need to play with washes to achieve that color.
    The use of mineral sprits ,lacquer thinning or even acetone mixed with the oils help when doing this. Don’t use it straight out of the tube.

socalmountainman and Westcoast like this.
  4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Like Frank, I use Winsor and Newton oils, Cadmium Yellow, Burnt Sienna (reddish-orange) and Burnt Umber (very dark brown). Depending on the antlers, I may use all three or sometimes two or just the Burnt Umber by itself. If your antlers have several colors then you can lay the colors separately as layers so some of the lighter colors stay in the low areas. I use mineral spirits to thin my oils. Dab a little in dishes and have some mineral spirits in a separate dish to dip your brush into, then touch the oil color with the wet brush. You want it to go on as thin as wood stain. Keep toothbrushes handy to rub into the lows and highs and rub excess off with rags paper towels. Playing with the colors on cardboard to get the desired tint is best. Have fun! Joe
    antlers.jpg

Frank E. Kotula, Dave York and Mudbat like this.
  5. blindluck

blindluck Active Member

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Research Mannikins sells or used to sell an antler stain that comes out a reddish color. I have used it before and it came out pretty much like the pic you posted.

7. blindluck

blindluck Active Member

Thanks, would love to see pictures of that buck as you work on it to the finished final result

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Heres a replacement antler and how these paints help you achieve what your trying to stain

Attached Files:

Westcoast likes this.
  9. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I'm sorry I didn't take any progress pictures. That photo was taken to show the client it was coming along fine. They had been sitting in a front yard garden for years and were as white as the skull when I got them so a lot of color has been appied up to this point. Joe