1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Passenger Pigeons..?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Squirrel Jam, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Squirrel Jam

Squirrel Jam New Member

Hi all,
    I've inherited a pair of Passenger Pigeons in a case. There isn't any documentation with them, I was told that they are Passenger Pigeons, and to my untrained eye they do appear to be. They are really cool, but I don't have a use for them. I would prefer they went to someone or somewhere where they are viewed, and appreciated.
    I have contacted my local Nature/Science Museum. They gave me a nice reply email about the history of the bird species, but they don't seem to be interested in the piece. I reached out to two other museums, with no response. I was hoping to do a lease/rental agreement with a museum to have them on display, but have kind of hit a wall in that path.
    Now I'm beginning to entertain the private sale avenue. Short of just throwing them up on Ebay and seeing what happens, I don't really know where to begin. (And they aren't authenticated, so I don't want to unintentionally mislead/fraud anybody.) Any thoughts, or opinions on what could be done with them would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    (Photos hopefully attached)
    IMG-0397.jpg IMG-0398.jpg

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

They do appear to be passenger pigeons. Most museums will not actively buy items from private people. All do however accept them as donations in which case you can write them off on your taxes. Our museum here for instance has four of them in the collection. If selling them on Ebay or any other auction the bidders would just have to take your word as to what they are, or you might be able to have someone such as a museum to give you a letter that says they authenticated them after they were examined. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    magicmick and BrookeSFD16 like this.

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

They are definitely Passenger Pigeons and are legal to sell. To the right buyer you might get a few thousand dollars as those appear to be in good shape. Many museums would accept them but doubtful they would buy them as Museum Man mentioned.

magicmick likes this.
  4. Pinkiat

Pinkiat New Member

What a gorgeous pair! Those would look lovely in my living room! I am trying to become a taxidermist myself, and have a strong fondness for the passenger pigeon!

5. Manchester collector

Manchester collector New Member

They do indeed look correct.
    If you would be interested in selling them, please let me know. Best wishes

6. Purdue87

Purdue87 New Member

I just saw your post. I am interested in purchasing a passenger pigeon(s) if you will please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.