1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Terminology Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Daedric.oak, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Daedric.oak

Daedric.oak Member

I'm working on a project where I needed some case skinned hides. I had a seller reach out to me and said he had dorsal skinned hides. I don't mind dorsal skinned because it's an easy stitch up the spine. However, the past few times I've purchased 'dorsal skinned' hides from sellers on here, they were skinned up the belly. Now, I don't mean to be a stickler about terminology, but I'm a noob here and rug cut skinned hides are a pain in the ass for me to sew up since I really have a hard time seeing what I'm looking at. I've had 3 hides that were advertised as 'dorsal skinned' but they were skinned up the belly. Dorsal refers to the back (spine) of the body, while ventral refers to the front (belly) but every time I buy a 'dorsal cut' hide it's skinned up the belly.

So, what is dorsal skinned? Is that when you skin up the spine, or is it rug cut where it is skinned up the belly?

p.s., if anyone has a tutorial on how to sew up a rug-cut fox, that would be amazing because I've been staring at this fox for the past 2 hours and have failed multiple times to sew it up.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Dorsal is the back not the belly so they lied to you and have no clue . I have seen on some , they belly cut to gut , then dorsal skinned it . Case skinned is back leg to the butt and back down other leg , then rolled all the way down and off . I would call and complain.

ok as far as your what you called rug skinned , turn the critter inside out lay it on Its back and bring all the skin in together, each side of the belly, each leg be doing this you can see the cuts that were made when skinned, and you can take a marker and make little lines or dots of the cut points , so when you put on form you no where to start and stop at each cut . I took a L/S Griz one time as it was belly skinned and cut down all 4 leg , layed it out as described, but I sewed it all back together with a running lock stitch inside out , leaving only enough room on the legs to invert the paws . It looked like a bald bear laying there lol . Then I recut it down the back to be a dorsal cut and mounted it standing tall . So there’s your 2 options , hope that helps

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Next time you purchase dorsal cut skins, ask the seller if they mean cut up the belly or up the back, just to be sure. That way, there should be no confusion.

Daedric.oak likes this.
  4. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

On my first ventral or belly skinned mount I thought I would never get it back together. I just started at one end and made small, neat stitches and it started coming together. I typically start under the neck then stop when I get to "armpits" I leave my thread loose and start with new piece of thread working up each leg to meet the first one. As long as you go slow and do nice even stitches it will come together. It allows you to hide any extra tucked into the armpits. I hope this helps.

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Sew it up from the inside. I use a whip stitch. On a fox, the stitches are abut 1/4” apart. Do as 13 pt recommended, and place reference marks every 4-6 inches to aid in keeping it properly aligned.

Daedric.oak likes this.