1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Way To Thaw A Frozen Cape

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by arrow30, Dec 31, 2021.

1. arrow30

arrow30 New Member

since i dont know the condition of these capes, im worried they might be borderline for slipping. im thinking of thawing in a tub of salt water, so im asking if anyone does this as a prevention of bacteria growing on the outter areas of the cape as it warms and thaws. and these capes might be as old as 4 years old. freezer burn is another concern.

2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Hang them one at a time from a hook so they will unfurl as they thaw. Overnight in a 60 degree room will do it. Thawing isn't going to ruin them, the time you spend on them after thawing might. Wake up, slurp down a cup of coffee, turn, split, flesh, and salt. Allow to dry hard, a fan will accelerate this. Then, ship to a tannery or proceed in pickling and tanning yourself.

pir^2h, 13 point and Westcoast like this.

3. arrow30

arrow30 New Member

thanks for replying, il try that.

4. OkieTrav

OkieTrav New Member

Joeym hit the nail on the head. Follow his directions and you'll be good.
    Bacteria needs moisture to grow. Applying dry salt helps draw the moisture out to inhibit bacteria growth, it doesn't stop it completely. It buys you some time to work on it though. If you put it in a brine solution to thaw and then pulled it out to work on it, the moisture level would be ideal for bacterial growth.

5. arrow30

arrow30 New Member

thanks, Okie

6. arrow30

arrow30 New Member

thanks for the replies, another thing i got to thinking about. was how to fold for freezing, head inside or head out side, i was thinking if outside and the skin ends up being froze for an extended time (years) there would be freezer burn. now if its inside it would take longer for the face to freeze , maybe causing slip to the face....hmmm... any peferences on how to fold a cape for freezing?

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

For me if I’m going to mount that deer soon like that year for a client then I really don’t worry about it , just make sure it’s hair out . So skin doesn’t get a dry spot . If it’s for an xtra cape or me , not sure how long it will be in freezer, I tuck ears and head into the short y cut so they are inside neck kinda thing , then I roll it up hair out and bag and freeze . If you are worried bout face taking to long to freeze, then put that cape in freezer open kinda thing to cool down before you roll it up . But I’ve never had any issues.

8. arrow30

arrow30 New Member

im pretty much jut wondering what to tell the guys that bring me their capes, if one way would be better than the other. i get some nicely folded and others just jammed in a bag and froze.
    thanks 13 for the reply

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

They are bringing you capes ? Deer heads already skinned? I don’t get to many of them . That said I’m pretty sure any way there bagged and froze they would be fine for at least a year . But I would tell them hair out no matter what.

10. arrow30

arrow30 New Member

yep, caped.
    i got them trained that way so far. lol ! i made it clear to them to get them caped and in freezer as soon as possible.
    they get more in the freezer that way too. i havent done any mounts in a while, so they have been saving them, till i start doing it again,
    im fixing to retire so il be doing it for gas-n-beer money.
    had to get a new fleshing wheel blade, my old one is all rusted and dull. im trying to refresh all this stuff in my memory.

drob likes this.
  11. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I have people bring me the capes at times. But, I like a short Y and they all seem to be full cut, hate sewing that much.

Clovis Point likes this.
  12. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Microwave... Low power/thaw setting…. Works great