1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Denatured Alcohol Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Lonewolf_8126, Jan 6, 2022.

1. So I use denatured alcohol on fish and small animals for mounting, and while running my trapline this year...I caught an abundance of Red Fox. Since I'm not selling them on the fur market I was wondering if I soaked them in Denatured Alcohol and let them dry, would they be able to be tanned at a later date? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Just salt them heavy then air dry , I believe it be a hit and mis kinda thing with the D.A on the tanning thing .

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Do what was said above salt and dry and forget alcohol as that’s may only cause issues .

4. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I was given advice once to freeze deer hides in DA so they could be instantly thawed… and it shrunk and drew up before I even mounted it so bad I had to butcher the form and it looked like a giraffe. Literally the biggest screw up in my entire taxi career. Had to source a replacement cape and another form. Ever since then, Denatured Alcohol is not allowed on the premises.

qltycapes and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If you soaked it back up in water it would have let itself relaxed and you would have gotten it back. I still wouldn’t use this useless method on deer but its great on fish and even with them you must place in water or rinse very well to relax the skin again.

6. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

That would have been great to know then hahaha should have made a post about it. Guess I was too embarrassed.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.