1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A little something from DOWN UNDER.........

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by *, Aug 25, 2007.

1. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Red Kangaroo, stands 4 1/2 foot tall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

if you have a shortfall its that you only mount animals with big ears (LOL)

3. *

I'm getting to old to work on that small tiny stuff, my eyes are going bad.
    These are just my size, the bigger the better.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Looks good Dennis. I like how you can even see the roll's in the ribcage instead of it being smooth.

two questions, what did you use to make the tail & I cant see the pupil's, but are those dark Tohikan whitetail deer eyes ???

5. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Great job, I'm like Michael what you use for the tail , how about seam work .

6. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I like your eyes in this roo. Most people get them wrong.
    I would have the tail more along the ground. It looks unbalanced.
    I've included a pic to show what I mean.
    [​IMG]

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I just want to know how the hell you hide the seam so well on something that thin haired.

8. I agree with Sam on the tail. Also it needs more bulk over all. A male red roo has shoulders and forearms like a wrestler and a big chest.
    Front feet should be more claw like. Even when dead a big roo's front paws are like a human hand making a claw. They don't relax much.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/readman/red.htm
    http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/pictures/Macropus_rufus.html

This link is a good one to see the paws
    http://www.abc.net.au/nature/australasia/ep2_pic8a.htm

9. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

samantha i was thinking the same thing it doesnt look balanced. other wise very nice and clean looking..

10. *

Ouch you two, a little picky eh! LOL
    The feet, yep, they looked to clubby for me so they are downsized, I had 2 live roo's near my home when I mounted this, went up to see him everyday at the petting zoo. I shook hands with him and I did see a more relaxed paw.
    This guy was zoo raised so he IS not bulked up. His arms are max size and the shoulders are as tight as a brothers wallet. Can't get them any bigger.
    You can't make what isn't there, kinda like you could not taxidermy PeeWee Herman and make him look like Arnold Schwartznagor, or however you spell it.
    The form from Jonas is a piece of Cr*p, was very difficult to work with everything was changed.
    The tail that's it, it can't be made bigger, stitches are as tight a guitar string. you could play music off them. The curve in the tail , yep, might not be right but it sure makes it a lot easier to balance this tripod with the 30lbs of steel bar stock I put in the tail so this mount could free stand with no base.
    There's a lot more wrong with it than what you have mentioned. But I wasn't asking for a critique
    I would like some of you Aussie's to post some pics of your roo mounts. So I can see some more.
    Thanks

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Oh grow up,,, that how it works around here! ;D ;D ;D

12. Michael Shipman

Michael Shipman Killen Merriams in SD

Sometime's it's easier to set back and point out problem that it is to fix them.
    I think it looks great and what a challenge

13. *

Okay Mr T ::)
    I am and was laughing about it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    I agree with mshipman
    I got EXACTLY the mount I wanted out of him.
    and George sewing was a B*tch. Especially as it was not skinned by a taxidermist

14. Mate I'm not even a taxidermist. But I have seen a hell of a lot of roos and shot a lot under permit, both greys and reds, I'm just telling you what I've seen after a lot of years watching them in the bush and shooting them. Sorry if you didn't like my comments. Mounting an unfamiliar animal would be extremly hard, sort of like me trying to do a bear. Sam has done it with a coyote that I thought looked great but folks like George pointed out some small faults with things like the ears. Seeing that George has seen more coyote's than any Australian it would be pretty hard to disagree with his comments.
    My comments were not to critique, hell I've never mounted anything in my life so I'm not one to critique anything, they were more of an oberservation. Just trying to help is all ;)

15. *

Bakes. I didn't take it personal, Not all roos, like any animal are going to have the same tail, shoulders ect. We all, and I also, see everything in different ways, This is just my interpretation of a Red Roo. I do see in your pics the mass in that ones shoulders and it's tail , mine didn't have it in the skin. Not making excuses , he was just light.
    Have a good week mate!

16. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Great work Dennis! of course.

17. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I didnt set out to piss any one off * . ???
    Thats the first time I've ever said anything negative about anyone elses mount on here and only because I felt it was obvious.
    I cant show you any of my roo mounts because - I'm not allowed to mount them anymore nor even display thier pictures without paying for an expensive license first!! ;D.

18. *

I'm not p*issed off, you have to a whole lot better than that to start me up LOL ;D
    I'm very happy with the mount, it's just a typical commercial mount.
    I lean very heavily on the "ART" side of taxidermy not the technical and I do what I want to do and nobody is ever going to change that. If I don't like the way I FEEL it should look, I change it to meet my interpretation.
    Your statement about the limitations on showing and even mounting roo's , that is just the kinda laws in this country that this NTA should be working on for taxidermists in "THIS" country but they don't. We have some real issues but they will not address them.
    Sorry you have these problems

19. Great looking piece, Dennis. A free standing at 4 1/2 ft. tall roo mount must look awesome in person. Hard to tell the dimensions from the pics. Sometimes we just have to put the reference photos away and do what works, or what we want it to look like. The customer pays us for our own interpretation.
    I had the privilege of spending a couple of days working with a true master taxidermist. I would see him do things that I thought were unconventional, and he would tell me "What? Did you think that was against the rules?" or "It may not be anatomically correct, but I just like the way it looks."

20. *

"It may not be anatomically correct, but I just like the way it looks."

I love that line !
    Thanks