1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shrunken Cartilage On Commercially Tanned Capes?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by akhenenra, Jan 10, 2022.

1. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

I have Sallie Dahmes' manual for deer taxidermy and I noticed at one point she mentions that you can't do Bondo ears on commercially tanned capes because the cartilage is always so shrunken and mangled. I know a lot of taxidermists don't like Bonds ears anyway but I'd never heard that before. I did do one deer with Bondo that I thought had strangely small ears and I wonder now if that was the reason? Or maybe tanning has improved since this manual was written back in the 80s. Anyone else heard of this? appreciate the thoughts.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Wet tanned capes are No problem, it’s when it comes to dry tanned there can be an issue. But still can be done , most soak and bag the ears few hours before rehydrating the rest . On L/S mounts I put the head and feet in water together and bag as they take the longest to soften, bout 6 hours later i rehydrate the body .

akhenenra likes this.

3. akhenenra

akhenenra Member

ahhh ok, that makes sense. A lot of the manual is geared around using dry tanned capes. Thanks

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I never had a problem with Bondo ears on dry tanned capes. They came out the same as the wet tanned ones.