1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

PVA question

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by jeremy, Aug 26, 2007.

1. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Ive got a can of syn-lube does it do the same as PVA for the fish molding and casting?

2. newbirdman

newbirdman New Member

I dont have any idea what your stuff is but PVA dries with a thin film almost like a layer of plastic . You dont want to have a mold release that is greasy or oily as the gel coat will separate . Also any lind of greasy release might affect your paint job and will make the paint leave bare spots . Rick

3. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Syn-lube is the mold release in a spry can, I think smooth-on makes it not sure on that part but they recommend it when casting there using there resins

4. I use the syn lube on many things. I haven't used it in the making of fiberglass molds, always used the PVA. I would think as far as casting it would be fine. Don't know about the molding. Wiser men than I will have to school ya on that.

5. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    They are two different type of release agents. As stated above PVA forms a thin flexible film, that releases when the cast is pulled. Your spray can is a silicone release just making the mold where nothing sticks. PVA is a must will Gel Coat. I haven't had much luck with the sprays when using Gel Coat, but excellent results with other casting agents. Good Luck

6. Guys, I've seen PVA mentioned before. Now sometimes you guys have different names to the stuff we get here in Australia. I know PVA as a white wood glue. Is that what you are talking about?

7. wvtroutman

wvtroutman New Member

poly vinyl alcohol (pva) Not sure if its the same as the wood flooring glue you speak of.....I have some of the same on hand and was just wondering the same thing......

8. Have you ever used frekote (solo) or chemlease they can be either sprayed or brushed on? It wont leave the PVA texture on your parts & you get several pull before having to re apply.
    Darwin

9. When making a mold with rtv or a urethane I like to use a thin layer of vaseline between the 1st half and the second pour, then I am sure it will not stick. For casting parts with Smooth cast 300 or IE3030, most of the spray on release agents work fine. I prefer Universal Mold Release by Smooth on.

10. PVA seperator and PVA glue are different. Each does exactly that job.