1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help With Deer Eyes Please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lumberjack78, Jan 18, 2022.

1. lumberjack78

lumberjack78 New Member

Long time reader, first time poster. I am doing my first whitetail shoulder mount. I have van Dykes 32mm eyes and a Don Holt WT-170 form which calls for 32mm eyes. The eyes however don't sit in the pocket and it looks as though material will need to be removed. All of the videos I've watched including the Rick Carter DVD show people just setting the eyes in without removing material. So the question, what is the best way to get my eyes in this form correctly? Thanks in advance

2. drob

drob Well-Known Member

Just an FYI,some guys use 30mm eyes on all thier deer.Smaller size may work.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

As stated it could be a 30 mm eye socket, rule of thumb for me is 19 inch neck and bigger I use 32mm , 18 to 15 inch neck I use 30mm . That said just cut the foam out , your rebuilding it with clay anyhow. If you don’t want to loose the eye foam shape then cut the foam out with a dremmel tool doing an under cut back near the flat back part of the eye on form , so it kinda just pops in the slot you grooved out .

lumberjack78, qltycapes and arrow30 like this.
  4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

A 1 1/4” paddle bit is perfect for cleaning excess foam from eye orbits. Just don’t overdo it.

5. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Nobody will ever even notice the slightly bigger eye.

6. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Dremel or use Joeys method