1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by sle75, Jan 18, 2022.

1. sle75

sle75 New Member

Got a bear and a mt.lion with some issues. I don't know how long these things had been in the freezer before I got them. The wings on the bear nose are hard as a rock and there are several spots on the lion skin that are hard and the ears are hard and can't be turned and all toe pads are hard and dry. My question is can they be rehydrated and if so what is the best way to do it?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

As long as their tanned the universal method is this:
    4 oz salt
    1/4 cup of Downey
    1 gallon of tepid water
    Soak for 20-30, hang to drain, bag it and place in a fridge overnight. Next day should be fine if not you can do it again. plus also injecting these areas with the mix will help in hydration.

J.N.L and sle75 like this.

3. sle75

sle75 New Member

They are both green…

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Then they are freezer burnt . Nose I wouldn’t worry bout as you can do a replacement nose . The toes you can try to inject with your pickle if tanning yourself or salt water or stop rot , it may take a few times . The dry burnt spots could and should relax going thru the tanning process just flesh as good as possible

sle75 likes this.
  5. sle75

sle75 New Member

Should the ears hydrate in the tan (krowtan)as well?

6. 13 point

Get it turned as far as possible, ear but meat off , yes I have had ears that were over half way not turned and hard as rock , soften in the pickle, just open the rest of the way as they do relax .

sle75 likes this.
  7. sle75

sle75 New Member

Thank you for your time

8. 13 point

Anytime

sle75 likes this.
  9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have pickled and tanned a cape that had impossible to turned ears and I was able to turn them after the tan.