1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using A Fleshing Wheel On A Pheasant

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by CJMartin, Jan 20, 2022.

1. CJMartin

CJMartin New Member

First time using a wire wheel to flesh a pheasant. Do you use the wheel on the whole skin or just the fatty parts? i've done a few "test" skins and ended up with very thin skin. Is this how it should be? When they dry out after degreasing they become very dry. Again should it be that way? Thanks for the help

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I wheel the whole thing. I spray water on the skin to keep it moist as I wheel it. Sometimes on really fat skins, I spray them and sprinkle borax on them to absorb the grease as I wheel them.

3. CJMartin

CJMartin New Member

Thanks for the input. Should my skins end up being "thin" or am i over doing it?

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Bird skins are thin any way. If you are not putting a small hole in the skin every now and then, you are probably not fleshing it enough.

When I wheel a grouse, pheasant, quail or turkey, all the skin between the feather tracts need to have All membrane and fat removed just as much as the skin in and around the feather butts in the feather tracts. On grouse necks the skin is clear enough I see through it like plastic wrap.