1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Change Out Heads

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GP1419, Jan 21, 2022.

1. GP1419

GP1419 Active Member

Mounted lots of deer but never done a change out head, customers want certain poses (that I can't get from my favorite suppliers) that I hate because of the look after finish work, don't know if its me or the form but I think its the form so I want to start using heads that I am use to mounting on. My question is when using a change out head and the neck of the form is a lot bigger or smaller than the neck on the head how do you make it look right or match up, I'm guessing either shave it down or build it up with clay, does anyone know of any videos on change out heads to watch, I'm probably overthinking this I just hate wasting a form and a head, thanks for any help. The heads I've seen only offer eye to nose measurement not neck size.

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Build it up with 2 part foam.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Cut the head off form from under chin right at neck , to back of antler block , at back of head , then Recut the head form to fit , very little filling or sanding needed from that point . To fill in order clay shay from aves supply , anytime you do alterations on a form you should put a coat of Clay shay on it . It mixes with water to a wet paste , put on with a paint brush and blend in as thick or thin as you need it , after it dries you can even sand it . Chit is awesome.

Westcoast likes this.
  4. GP1419

GP1419 Active Member

Thanks for the help