1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unwanted Fly Eggs In Cow Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sweetkitty1731, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Sweetkitty1731

Sweetkitty1731 New Member

I want to get rid of these things. The person I got it from had it outside for years. I use the high powered setting on my showerhead to get rid of them. Before I use it I shake it around and litterally 100 fall out daily. I do not have alot of money to do anything. I am going to keep it inside and i do not want flies in the house. I am already seeing baby flies. Help me please

2. Kendall

Kendall Active Member

Stick it in the freezer for a few days.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Put it in a bag and leave it in a freezer for a good while. If it has been outside for "years" they won't be any kind of carrion/garbage fly. Could be dermestids, which you do NOT want in your house or lord knows what. Pictures can tell a lot if you can photo clearly what you are looking at. If you can not put it in a freezer, then find a barrel it will fit in and submerge it in water that you have added some dish detergent and a large amount of ammonia to. Let it sit underwater for a week and anything in there will be dead. You can periodically slosh it around to loosen anything inside so it will float free. The ammonia will also do a lot to loosen dirt and clean it up some. Take it out and scrub it with brushes and put it back in the water to soak some more. Repeat until it is clean. Rinse it off and dry it out someplace away from where any bugs are. If there is an odor after this then there is dried flesh inside of it that you will have to remove or you will still have an insect issue.