1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirrel Taxidermy First Attempt

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Posty Mortem, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Posty Mortem

Posty Mortem New Member

CA
    I have a fat squirrel in my freezer. he's 16 inches long, and from what I cant tell his eyes are about 19mm but when I try to find glass eyes for squirrels the size seems to cap out at 12mm. am I confused about what the measurement should be? if not where can I find the appropriate sized eyes?

2. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Well-Known Member

19mm is .748” so your measuring obviously isn’t correct. Most squirrels use a 9mm - 12mm eye. If you’ll look at McKenzie catalog at the squirrel forms, the eye size is indicated for each form. If you haven’t already done so, look up Ellzey’s squirrels on YouTube and he demonstrates quick easy skinning and fleshing. A lady that works for him has a mounting video also on YouTube. Watch those before getting started…you’ll be glad you did.
    Blessings

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

No squirrel I have ever seen has an eye size over 12 mm.

4. Make sure you are measuring the actual eye ball, not the entire eye area.

5. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

Squirrel should have a glass bubble eye

drob likes this.
  6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The largest eyes I have used on monster grey squirrels was 11mm.

7. Posty Mortem

Posty Mortem New Member

CA
    Thank you all for your help, I watched some of the suggested videos by @Wally Gator

I think I will start by skinning and freezing the hide and see if I can get a better eye and body measurement.

8. Posty Mortem

Posty Mortem New Member

CA
    [​IMG] https://www.instagram.com/p/CWxOTjYrhQ9/[​IMG]

So this is the Squirrel here, from Southern California. does anyone know the species?

after a better educated inspection he seems about 14.5 Inches and the eye seems closer to a 12mm. thoughts?

9. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Look
    Looks like a fox squirrel

Posty Mortem likes this.