1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Advice On Goat Skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by goat22, Jan 25, 2022.

1. goat22

goat22 New Member

Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about taxidermy, so any comments would be much appreciated.

I have domestic goat skull that I had degreased and whitened by a local taxidermist. The skull was originally professionally sawed in half, right down the center. The cut was very straight and all I wanted was it to be put back together.

The taxidermist used a gray epoxy putty and did not wipe away the extra, so there is a noticeable amount all over the seam. It looks like they then air brushed the whole skull with white paint that was getting powder everywhere. I hate the way it came out, so i’m trying to redo it myself.

I soaked part of the epoxy in acetone for 3 hours and it softened a little and tried to scrape it off, but is really difficult.

Does anyone know of a better way to remove the epoxy putty from the bone without damaging it? The bone also looks to have a clear coat on it. Is there a way to remove this? What is the best material to glue bone and teeth back together? The skull is still super yellow, what do I use to whiten it more?

Thank you!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yellow will be grease so it wasn't done when it was given to you. The epoxy will be enough to hold it together but you are going to have to sand it smooth. Not sure if the acetone damaged it or if it will harden again once it dries out. As the skull was cut and you have smooth surfaces to try and glue together, epoxy is your best choice. Elmer's glue is my first choice for bone but I am gluing teeth into sockets and bone sutures/seams that have irregular surfaces that fit together and make a tight joint. Smooth cut surfaces are going to be a lot harder. The white paint is probably not the powder you see. The powder may well be the bone itself disintegrating as it falls apart. If so, the skull was over boiled until the bone starts breaking down. If it was boiled, the grease left over has been cooked into the bone and will be very difficult to remove. As long as grease is still there, whitening it will be futile. You should ask the taxidermist what they did to clean it and degrease it so you know what you are working with. Photos always help as well.