1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sable

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by aussiesam, Jan 25, 2022.

1. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Mounted up my first Sable.

I'd heard this skin was going in another's bin due to hair slip and very bad ears and i asked if i could do something with it, knowing I'd probably never get one of my own.
    One i got the skin and assessed the damage i ordered a pair of horse hears from a local knackery and dyes them to the correct color.
    i'd bought a pair of horns from the USA, *Thankyou! (and i wish I'd taken the time to mold them now).

Once i was happy with repairs to both the ears i ordered a shoulder form and then altered that into a pedestal form and mounted him up. I was hard not to give in at this stage as it looked terrible and depressing, but i was committed financially, it had to work lol..

When dried I repaired the slipped areas to neck, throat, brows & shoulders with flock and added a repro ox pecker i painted with pan pastels to distract the eye from the repairs.

The ears are not perfect but at least i have a sable for my home to admire now and happy to receive critique positive or negative sable.jpg sable2.jpg Horseears01.jpg Horseears1.jpg Horseears3.jpg Horseears4.jpg

ARUsher, NMJagdHunter, tem and 2 others like this.
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Looks pretty dang good to me , from the things you described fixing , great job

aussiesam likes this.