1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Advice On Goat Skull

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by goat22, Jan 25, 2022.

1. goat22

goat22 New Member

Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about taxidermy, so any comments would be much appreciated.

I have domestic goat skull that I had degreased and whitened by a local taxidermist. The skull was originally professionally sawed in half, right down the center. The cut was very straight and all I wanted was it to be put back together.

The taxidermist used a gray epoxy putty and did not wipe away the extra, so there is a noticeable amount all over the seam. It looks like they then air brushed the whole skull with white paint that was getting powder everywhere. I hate the way it came out, so i’m trying to redo it myself.

I soaked part of the epoxy in acetone for 3 hours and it softened a little and tried to scrape it off, but is really difficult.

Does anyone know of a better way to remove the epoxy putty from the bone without damaging it? The bone also looks to have a clear coat on it. Is there a way to remove this? What is the best material to glue bone and teeth back together? The skull is still super yellow, what do I use to whiten it more?

Thank you!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You could just sand the putty down to the seam with graduating numbers of grit. Start with course grit and end with fine grit.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You have more problems here than normal. go to your auto store and you should find epoxy remover or try acetone and soak the skull in that for a few days and have it covered.
    The yellowing is still grease in the skull so your professional job really wasn’t a pro at all and probably boiled it which you see now from over boiling and over bleaching.
    To make the bones stronger you need some pariloid 44. Glue back teeth and bones with clear epoxy but be careful.,