1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help Identifying This Old Horn/tusk/bone?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by jrv2765, Jan 26, 2022.

1. jrv2765

jrv2765 New Member

Hi- apologies if this isn’t the correct place to post but this seems like a pretty knowledgeable group, so I’m hoping someone will be able to identify this…
    We’ve recently been cleaning out our basement and I came across a box of art & random knick knacksnthat my grandparents had put aside for me years ago when they sold their home.

At the bottom of the box, my son found this random horn or tusk looking item- which I vaguely recall from their first house. I attempted to search via Google images, but the results completely varied.
    It’s very heavy and definitely very old…Measures approximately 17”l x 3” w. Area of pencil marks and areas where it appears someone scratched an illegible name/word into it. Really would love to know more about it if anyone has any information. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

It appears to be a walrus tusk.

e101011 and jrv2765 like this.

3. jrv2765

jrv2765 New Member

Thank you! My teenage son is especially excited about it.

Rausch likes this.
  4. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

I would concur- Walrus

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Yep, walrus.

6. steve torna

steve torna New Member

I think it is a small elephant tusk. Walrus tusks are usually (not always) oval in cross section compared to elephant tusks which are more spherical in cross section. Most important is the pattern of the dentin observed on the cross section of the tooth. If you see a criss-cross or cross hatched pattern (schreger lines) around the edges of the tusk on the surface where the tusk is cut, it is an elephant. Additionally, the cross section of a walrus tusk will have secondary dentin (kind of a soap bubble -like appearance) at the center of the tusk. To me, your tusk is almost certainly from a small elephant.

7. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I have little experience with these but googling "walrus tusk cross section" it does appear to not be a walrus. You know your stuff Mr. Torna.

walrus tusk cross section - Google Search

8. Great Skulls

Great Skulls Active Member

100% elephant. Not sure which species. The schreger lines are obvious and not found in walruses at all.

PA likes this.
  9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As Great Skulls and others stated, 100% elephant tusk. At that length, the upper section of a walrus tusk starts to get hollow. At 17 inches, those are solid. The shape is also wrong for walrus. The further away from the tip of a walrus tusk you get, the more oval it becomes. Lucky you. :)

What is written on it is the number 4761 or 4767. Hard to tell with the light reflection.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022