1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Material For Belly Seams

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pikeonthefly, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

I ordered a pair of eyes for a brown trout. I had no idea they were so fragile. :)

I mount all of my fish as pedestals. I cut a small groove along the bottom of the fish body and tuck the skin. Most of the time I can get away with a small amount of All Game but sometimes the seam can get a little wider. What product would you recommend and do those scale rollers work?
    Thank you!

Brown eyes 2.jpg Brown eyes 1.jpg

Kerby Ross likes this.
  2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Lots of ways to reproduce scales. I prefer to make press molds from silicone. I pour the silicone on the part of the fish I want to reproduce and make a mold of those scales. Once mounted and dried I will fill in the gap with apoxie sculpt or similar product and the press the silicone scale mold over it. :)
    Kerby...

Attached Files:

3. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

Those look great! Thank you! Will that same process work well on a skin mount? I guess you would need to do this process before you skinned the fish?

Kerby Ross likes this.
  4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

You can do this on skin mounts. You can make your press mold with the silicone before you skin it (just make sure that area is DRY), or you can mount the fish .... let it dry and then make your silicone press mold of the scales.

:)

Kerby...