1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sand Hill Crane Advise

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by disabled, Jan 27, 2022.

1. disabled

disabled Active Member

I have a customer wanting a Sand hill Crane mounted Standing!!! How much to charge? Never did one before any advise would be helpful!!!! any pointers thanks john

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    The skin is pretty tough, get plenty of references, charge more than you think, dealing with wiring the wings and legs is a pain.

3. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

$1500. 8guage wire for the legs

4. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

I mount them like a turkey, skinned "ankle to ankle." This lets me get the legs built, finished and bullet proof attached to body. I double wire the wires; 12 gauge, one to the tip of the "backside" wing bone, thru a drilled hole and the other e-taped to the humerous. Takes some effort but provides a solid attachment. Big flying birds get my heavy duty support rod system; a 2" or so piece of 1" angle, drilled with holes, that is welded onto 3/8" rod, about 2" back from the sharpened tip. It gets bondoed into a cavity into the body. I make the "hole" before mounting, located to avoid any wires; neck or wings, then insert and bondo after mounting, before posing. I mix a little resin in to thin it and shoot it thru a jumbo syringe with a big tip. All this gets done before mounting; rod bent, attitude set, etc. It might be overkill, but when done it will withstand any crate and ship issues. A picture would help, but I'm not that tech savvy.

Wildthings likes this.
  5. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

You need to become more tech savvy Jimmy!! LOL would love to see pics

Jim McNamara likes this.