1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Forgetting To Hide Paste The Face

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dwb5, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

So like the title says I did something stupid and forgot to put hide paste on the face of a deer. I know, I know very stupid thing to do! My question is. Should I rehydrate the face a add glue? The face has dried very well it has very very little drumming. Mainly on the forehead. My worry is the eyes. They are pinned right now and I dont know what the eyes will do when the pins come out. Any advice is appreciated!

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would rehydrate it and remount the face using hide paste.

J.N.L and Dwb5 like this.

3. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

If it's a customers mount you owe it to them and your reputation to do your best work every time. Soak it up up and do it right . . . I'm betting it will never happen again.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

What will happen if you don't is, the skin will slightly expand when there is humidity present. Then when the humidity is low it will shrink a little more than it was. When humid again it will expand to what it was previously during the low humidity. Over time the shrink more than it was/ increase less than it was cycle will have it pulling at stitches, pulling out of slots, and away from everywhere causing drumming. This is slow and happens over years.

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes rehydrate and get some glue under it , that said . I wouldn’t untuck and such , I have a big syringe I fill with HP and inject . So I’d maybe pull a nostril out and pump it in and work it around, go to top of forehead make a little slit just big enough for tip of syringe and pump some paste in . Do the same as needed . Just pushing paste around under skin on face . Those slits won’t need to be sewn shut as the paste will hold them down. That’s how I would handle it .

drob, Westcoast, Jackson1814 and 4 others like this.
  6. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

Great idea!!!Thank you!!!

7. moonshine

moonshine Active Member

You can use a big syringe and inject thrugh the skin , ive done it it works well then you wont haveto dismantle face

Dwb5 likes this.
  8. Westcoast

Westcoast Well-Known Member

What size needle can be used to push hide paste through?

9. 13 point

I don’t use a needle, I believe it’s McKenzie that sells a syringe that has a longer bent tube bout 1” as part of it , no needle . I buy them by the Doz , I can post a pic if wanted . I open that a tad more and is what I use , I have to fill a few times but it gets the job done .

Dwb5 and Westcoast like this.
  10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

It's like having s little caulking gun. I use it to apply hide paste under the seam as I sew too.

Westcoast likes this.
  11. 13 point

3BECA7EA-95B9-447A-83AE-B87A61813099.jpeg 1CA28918-F473-4C92-8992-BF5EE443C31E.jpeg

Dwb5, J.N.L and Tanglewood Taxidermy like this.
  12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

They also work great for squirting caulk into hard to reach areas of small birds. I have large syringes and small ones.

Dwb5 and Westcoast like this.
  13. Westcoast

Westcoast Well-Known Member

There are so many tips and tricks to learn that I only wish I had more lifetimes. Thank you for adding to the sponge between my ears.

Dwb5, drob and J.N.L like this.
  14. Dwb5

Dwb5 Active Member

I'm like you. It amazes me how little I know about taxidermy while reading on this forum!

Westcoast likes this.