1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Repaint An Old Musky Mount?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by snag, Feb 8, 2022.

1. snag

snag Member

I have an old Musky mount that I want to repaint and put new fins on. Can I white out the fish and paint it without stripping the old finish and paint off? Should I spray a flat clear first and then white out the fish? Help please. I use Life tone acrylic/ lacquer paints.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I just did the exact thing on a musky. I posted a pic on the fish thread. I wiped it down with thinner and a rag and then replaced all fins and then once I had them apoxied in and all other repairs made, I taped the fins off and sprayed the whole thing will Bulls Eye 123 primer and painted it.

Clew likes this.

3. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    And it looked good

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thank you

Clew likes this.
  5. snag

snag Member

Thank you so much 3bears. That is a big help.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome

7. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

Painted thousands of fish in my 50yrs of business. Much better results if you strip all if the paint off. Then you have a natural base. White is too fake looking. Depending on the fish, you might have makings that will show. That's why you tone down a repo fish and not start with white if trying to get a good end product.

J.N.L and Frank E. Kotula like this.
  8. snag

snag Member

Thanks for your response Kastaway.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm not going to discredit Joe's experiences but if you totally strip a fish you better charge 2 xs what you think it will take you to make look good. I found that stripping a fish you find out that the original job was often less than OK, such as 0 adhesive used to glue the skin to the form. all of a sudden you have a wrinkely turd on your hands. Now what? I've been down that road too many times and lost my ass on a redo. Now days I do as I said and paint it like a repro. The customer is informed prior to that I cannot cover all of the mistakes made by the person who originally mounted it, if they are head strong on that they must agree to a replica.

J.N.L likes this.
  10. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

I agree. Great to paint over if you have a good base, but might not have a good product to work with.

J.N.L and 3bears like this.
  11. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Problem with stripping
    (Other than ?)
    Are the little flags that pull up on older ones, then some cracking
    Then steel wool with baby care
    I do both ways just determined by the fish condition

3bears likes this.