1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Don’t You Hate It When …

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GotHonks, Feb 9, 2022.

1. GotHonks

GotHonks Well-Known Member

Sorry for the rant , still in shock …. I don’t know maybe it’s just me but I can’t stand companies that screw you ….. A buddy of mine wanted a base for a mount and picked one out from Vandykes .. big Mistake IMO because between McKenzie and Vandykes they both suck … they don’t give you a shipping cost at check out so you have no idea of the cost … I’ve sworn never to order from either place again unless I absolutely have no other choice .. I ship a lot of items and have worked in the shipping industry at times and I know how much stuff should cost to ship .. the 73.00 I was charged for shipping alone , on this small base for the price that coulda been shipped NEXT DAY AIR for much less …
    Glad it’s not my money … don’t know how happy my buddy will be when he has to shell out another 70.00 ..
    Do us all a favor and stop using these companies until they understand .. When you screw people they don’t spend money with you ..
    Just burns my a#$ and they also came out and said oh btw .. We’re raising prices due to Stupid ruining the country .. so we’ll screw you even worse … because we can …
    Best off never ordering from either place .. teach stupid a lesson … it doesn’t happen enough
    I will never order from either place again , last place on earth or not .. I’ll figure something else out … done with both ..
    Kinda curious but my bet is they’re both Liberally owned companies .. I’d bet money on it .. cus screwing people is what they do …

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Bud, it's the same company.
    I hear you and wish you luck on your search for cheaper, better suppliers with the selection offered by them.

3. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

Tell them to call with shipping cost before you have them ship im sure they will. you should try snail mail it is way cheaper than ups

4. Yep, it's hard to play ball with them. It's their ball, and their field. But there's not much out there in taxidermy supply companies as far as fair competition to drive the fair market value of supplies down. We are unfortunately buying retail rather than wholesale.

That being said, I just pass the cost along to the customer, and add some for shipping. Since you called it a rant, and if I'm being honest, I have more respect for the suppliers charging me more than these so called taxidermists (hacks) in my area doing it for next to nothing. They either have some sort of side gig (part timers) or they're lacking confidence in their poor quality to charge more.

I wish there was an artisans guild of taxidermists (sort of like a band of brothers-sisters) who all agree to keep the prices at a certain threshold, or at least what a bare minimum should be. This way, the consumer will choose someone based on skill set, or artistic abilities, rather than the low price. Believe me, I've thought this out, and am very seriously considering getting it going.
    "The bitterness of poor quality outlasts the sweetness of the low price". In other words, you ALWAYS get what you pay for with regards to taxidermy.
    Best of luck in your endeavors to find a supplier that fits your criteria, GotHonks

Richard C likes this.
  5. GotHonks

Yup , your kinda right they have everything , they’ve bought out many of the smaller guys over the years .. I pretty much have gotten by for over 10 years never placing an order from them so from now on I’ll just tell my clients find what you want from someplace else I will not order from those places end of story . I normally find what I need at places that don’t screw you … I’m sure they’re like many companies … just pass the buck .. Not me … When I know damn well they’re screwing me … I say screw them ..
    All I know is these days Most People will do you wrong when they can .. See it daily but I’m in Ca the state with the most idiots in the entire country so it’s probably not near as bad in good states .. out here in Ca I say 9 of 10 are idiots and it’s not to far off ..

Richard C likes this.
  6. GotHonks

Poor quality work , that’s another story … except out here .. some guys are charging 350.00 for a duck that looks like something I did when I first started taxidermy .. Pathetic …
    I guess I kinda asked for it … after all I knew better than to order from them , so I guess ranting about it , of coarse does me NO Good .. sorry , just chaps my hide .. like everything so far since a cheater stole the White House costing us all a ton more to live just because they’re stupid … Really hate paying for Stupid .. AEDBF097-985C-4292-82F3-F45335D6BE43.jpeg and it does hurt , cus Im one that get to suffer for the Stupid … and I hate it ..

3bears likes this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Honks, are you a member of any associations UTA or state? If not some get discounts from select suppliers.

8. GotHonks

Thanks , I’ll check into that ..

9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I only order from the big companies if I can't get it anywhere else. I've probably only ordered from them twice. Matuska, James Supply, Lone Star, and many other small supply companies will get my business. Bases and pedestals and such I get from Bridges Custom Woodwork or I find someone local.

Westcoast, GotHonks and pir^2h like this.
  10. GotHonks

Hey Brooke , Those are for the most part the same ones i use .. I use Lone star the most ... Reaserch Mannikkin cus its West coast and prices arent bad even shipping ... Checked out the guy you use for the bases , Nice work but hes on FB I cant even log in .. Not my Thing .. Hate Social Media owned by Liberals .... No thanks ..
    Truth Social is coming for those that need social media .. drop FB and Use one that is run by GOOD people not Liberal idiots .

jessewild and BrookeSFD16 like this.
  11. Rob Blom

Rob Blom New Member

Sorry, mini rant. I'm sure nothing that you all have not experienced already. I'm a new DIY'r and have no interest in going into business. I just placed my first order with McKenzies. Shipping for three quail heads and five 4oz bottles of paint.....$37.58!! Hazmat perhaps? I understand if you order a bunch of bulky forms and the packaging needs to be determined after placing the order. But an order that would fit into a six-pack box?? Hazmat charges could've also been applied at checkout. We all order large/heavy items or powder and primers from outdoor suppliers...Cabelas, Bass pro, Midway USA ....I've never been surprise charged like this. The shipping process has been figured out at this day in age.

Insult to injury. The day before shipping was charged to my card, they drop shipped one bottle of paint to me separately. No paint, it was filled with someone else's order. I did the right thing and called their customer service to advise them. They gave me an RMA to return the items....that's it. No shipping label to return their items. I emailed them about shipping, they just responded that the RMA # was for their internal use only. Apparently shipping is supposed to be on me.

Thanks for all the good advice and guidance you all provide on this forum!

12. GotHonks

Yeah there is absolutely NO DOUBT about McKennzie Taxidermy ..They screw customers on Shipping charges to make more money ..not to mention an extra SFJB inflation 5% on each order … I can’t stand companies that blatantly screw you , don’t care at all when they do it … I’ve emailed them a few times and never once got a return email .. Still every once in a while I have no choice and must use them as much as hate it but when I do I make the Customer fully aware that they’re covering the shipping cost for the entire order .. cus they do carry items nobody else does .. Whoever runs that place must be a Liberal cus it’s run pretty poor , like most liberal companies, customer service is crap , prices really high and shipping way over priced and on top won’t take an ass chewing and get back to you cus they know they’re screwing us just like SFJB a man we all now Cheated and is NOT President .. 2000 mules undeniable proof SFJB and the left cheated .. Had to throw that in its important .. See this and how the Democrats cheated All Americans . Both sides should be mad as hell …

Richard C likes this.
  13. Kostyniuk-outdoors

Kostyniuk-outdoors Alberta free and proud

Canada
    Matuska hands down blows every other company out of the water. I get everything I can from them

14. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

KEEP THE PACKAGE IF THEY ARE NOT PAYING FOR POSTAGE AND TELL THEM WHY

FLOCK THEM

15. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Well-Known Member

Idaho
    Simple solution, order from one of the other companies or make your own.
    This sight is filled with tutorials and helpful posts on how to diy. The state and national conventions have multiple seminars that provide hands on experience with every aspect of the industry. The internet is also loaded taxidermy videos.

The McKenzie horse has been beaten many times before on this sight. If you don’t like them quit whining and move on.

BrookeSFD16, 13 point and msestak like this.
  16. msestak

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is a monopoly but the government has to care about the segment that it hurts and we already know they couldn't give 2 sacks of ratchit about us.

msestak likes this.
  18. msestak

then someone this affects has to file a complaint. maybe if several state associations banned together something would happen.