1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezer Quit! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dmac1175, Feb 9, 2022.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I lost over 30 birds in freezer that quit.
    So far all but one customer was fine with me using a replacement bird until today. I have not contacted all the clients yet.
    As of right now I need 3 Wood Duck HENS. If anyone would be so kind to gift I would be more than happy to pay for shipping.

I know it's a hassle digging through a freezer looking for a bird you may or may not have then take the time to box it up and ship to a complete stranger for nothing except shipping coverage, but it would be appreciated.

Audra, Matthew Veasley and Wildthings like this.
  2. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    What your asking to do is illegal FYI. Best of luck i lost a freezer a few years ago gladly it was mostly my own stuff but sucks because some of it was tough to get.

3. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

How is this illegal, he is not buying or selling , is replacing. I believe you are wrong . May recheck laws .

GotHonks, jessewild and dmac1175 like this.
  4. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

you can gift it, but i dont think paying for postage is allowed.

5. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

Mounting a gifted bird and having someone else pay for the mount would be illegal.It’s not the same as having a client bro g you a shot bird and pay for it.if you need to replace 3 hen woodies just get them from a breeder,it won’t cost more than maybe $50 a bird.hell of a lot cheaper then having the feds crawl up your ass

6. 13 point

I’m not saying anyone is wrong here , but I believe this needs farther investigation. He is charging a service to mount , no different then if when he called each person and told them , then there buddy had a bird and gave them to replace that bird . He is not charging anything different or even bardering

jessewild and dmac1175 like this.
  7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Have em gifted to the customer and then you are only mounting them. Yes you can pay actual shipping but not a penny more.

8. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Ive received some from Bob J and paid postage
    All legal,
    He marks each one gifted and I paid postage as marked on package

9. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I would not post something on the world wide web if it was illegal.
    1. It is not illegal to gift waterfowl.
    2. It is not illegal to cover exact shipping on gifted waterfowl.
    3. It is not illegal for me to receive a gifted waterfowl and then gift the bird to a client and then the client turn around and pay me to mount the legally gifted bird.

Now does anyone pretty please have a Wood Duck hen they would legally gift me? I would gladly legally cover exact shipping.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    GotHonks, jessewild and msestak like this.
  10. msestak

thumbs up.jpg thumbs up.jpg

thats TWO THUMBS UP !!

if i had any at all, i would send you all of them and i would gladly cover shipping.

jessewild and dmac1175 like this.
  11. Clew

York, SC
    I may have a woody
    I do have one in the freezer that is burnt but it’s yours if you want
    Put it in a pressure pot with water and skin so soft from Avon and will work

msestak and dmac1175 like this.
  12. Clew

York, SC
    The young man helping me in the shop 16 yr old
    I think skinned a female woody to practice and wants me to check it for errors, if it’s a hen it’s yours if good

msestak and dmac1175 like this.
  13. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I need 3 Wood Duck hens so I will gladly take what you would be willing to part with.

msestak likes this.
  14. Clew

York, SC
    Let’s see what he has tuesday

jessewild and msestak like this.
  15. bradsbirds

bradsbirds New Member

I would strongly suggest researching your #3 statement a little more since you don't want to "post something illegal"....... I know you are desperate to replace the birds, but trying to rationalize a Federal law in your favor isn't the way to solve the problem, neither is posting something that can get you, and other boys and girls thinking it's OK into trouble.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Wildthings likes this.
  16. msestak

okay, so lets see. a client brings me a furbearer or an upland game bird and my freezer goes out. i can replace these items but a client that has me mounting a waterfowl and the freezer goes out that clients is crap outta luck as there is no way to replace it ? even if the whole thing is free ? the taxidermist isnt charging the client for the, he is charging the client the labor and materials to mount the bird and thats still illegal ? feds suck !!

what if a taxidermist buys a farm raised bird to replace it ?

17. msestak

better yet, doesnt the USFWS have interstate commerce laws regarding cross border trafficking in wildlife parts ?

how is all that stuff for sale here shipped around the country ?

Matthew Veasley likes this.
  18. 13 point

There is nothing he is doing that breaks federal law. Replacing a bird at no cost to anyone, does not break federal regulations. Show us the law your talking about .

msestak likes this.
  19. bradsbirds

bradsbirds New Member

MBTA has been the law since 1918, it's nothing new. Title 50 CFR further discusses gifting and compensation. Billybob properly gifts a dead migratory Wood duck to dmac. Wood duck is now legally dmac's bird. dmac calls Johnboy and tells him he has a Wood duck for him. Johnboy says he doesn't want a dead, frozen Wood duck. dmac then proceedes to "barter" with his dead/frozen Wood duck declaring that he will mount it for Johnboy for $300. Johnboy says OK I'll take it.

I'm pretty certain even the least informed USFWS Agent/ U.S. Attorney/ U.S. Magistrate will see that as a barter/trade/sale of dmac's personal bird. If not, I have to believe we can all start shooting limits of ducks, calling customers, "gifting" them away and mounting them for money. This is everything the "spirit of the law" was intened to address.

20. Clew

York, SC
    Go by your laws and reg
    Go to dnr and ask!