1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezer Quit! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by dmac1175, Feb 9, 2022.

1. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

That’s your interpretation, not the law . He didn’t barter, there was already a contract in place for a mount for one . For two he is not charging for said bird he is charging to mount it . If his cost or fee to mount was $350 a bird and that cost is what he charges all then is not a barter or charge if he said it’s $350 for the mount and come cut some fire wood for me getting you the bird , then he broke the law , that’s not what is happening here . You don’t have to be the one that killed it to have it mounted . Call your DNR Feds and ask , but explain the whole story to get the true answer, don’t phrase it so it suet’s your interpretation of it . For a sale or barter both parties have to receive something of benefit to both parties. IE bird to one and money or profit of some kind to other .

2. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

thats not what is happening. the gift is to replace a bird that was legally killed. no sale or trade under the law is taking place.
    if all taxidermists shoot waterfowl, mount and sell them, then thats what the law addresses as they are specifically shooting them to be sold as profit, cant do it.

3. bradsbirds

bradsbirds New Member

Stating the facts is not interpreting the law. The fact is, dmac will be replacing a customer's bird with his own bird and will be paid to mount it (doesn't matter whether it was gifted to him or he shot it, it's still his bird which he in turn is planning to "gift" to the customer). If some can justify that as not being a "sale" then that is their choice. As far a both having to benefit with a barter, sure the customer had a bird there, but it was ruined. The customer now will benefit by getting a "new" bird, one that was not his, and dmac will benefit by receiving money for mounting it.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It is your interpretation, post the actual law . Don’t say what you think it says .

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm pretty sure that if what I suggested is done, there is not a violation but, that would depend on the person writing the citation and on that day their understanding of the laws.

6. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Well-Known Member

Folks no limit on how many times the said "Wood Duck" can be gifted. Gift it to the customer now it's the customer's bird he can legally pay for the cost of shipping and mount it. Or buy one from a breeder for him if your not sure. Crazy part is you can pass on that cost. FED laws are all crazy and blurred on the best of days.

7. msestak

and there ya go...gift it to the customer, mail it to the customer. let the customer decide what to do with it.

its not against the law for someone to gift a waterfowl to someone else and that someone else decides to have it mounted...TA-DA

problem solved.

Keith likes this.
  8. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Boy, bad enough the guys freezer breaks!!! This sure took a couple different turns. This does remind me to look into those freezer alarms. Not sure how to respond to Clew having a Woody?

9. msestak

not sure why you want to know

tenor.gif

Clew likes this.
  10. bradsbirds

bradsbirds New Member

Exactly! See where I specifically mentioned he re-think his #3 statement regarding gifting the bird to him and then him "gifting" it to the customer...... Having the other guy gift it to his customer solves everything.

11. msestak

well....in a round about way he did. he just skipped a step and sent it directly to the taxidermist ;)

12. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Does anyone have a Wood Duck hen they would be willing to part with?

Wildthings and msestak like this.
  13. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    That bird my student had was a drake

msestak likes this.
  14. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thank you

msestak likes this.
  15. Wo
    Wow! All that.