1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Birds

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Troy Murawski, Feb 10, 2022.

1. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Greetings Troy. It is nice that Phil is making the skeletal collection available for use. I was curious about whether you were casting the parts or how you were replicating the skeletons, so I googled you. Your Instagram account shows better detail of your specimens and I see that you are 3-D printing them. see
    Troy Murawski (@avitron_v2.0) • Instagram photos and videos

I am curious of what the cost would be to print one. Not that I would print one, just the round number and then the time to articulate it. I prefer the original skeleton rather than a printed one, but except for museums, nature centers, and universities, you can't possess most protected birds.

I have 40+ years preparing bird skeletons at a major museum and have prepared more bird skeletons than the SDNHM Birds Collection has in their collection. I am essentially retired but will be training my replacement once they hire the person. Good luck on creating a business!

2. Troy Murawski

Troy Murawski New Member

I use photogrammetry for replicating the bones. I reconstruct the beak sheath and nail sheath with air dry clay so everything is as when the bird was alive. After I make the model, the clay is taken off with hot water with no damage to the original specimen and is then packed and returned to the museum.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Very nice work Troy. Thank you too, PA, for sharing that other link to the Instagram pictures. Troy, I will be happy to share this info to other people and institutions I have contacts with. I would also be interested myself to know what you ask for prices for the replicas.

4. Troy Murawski

Troy Murawski New Member

An articulated condor is 5500. Wings open is 7500. A disarticulated bird is 4000. Great horned owl is 950 for an articulated bird and 750 for an articulated bird. All proceeds will be used solely for replicating more species.

Sea Wolf likes this.