1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carving Foam

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Feb 12, 2022.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Active Member

I am looking to get into doing more of my own carving of fish forms. I was wondering is there anything else I can get that's not as expensive as the stuff from the taxidermy companies I've tried construction foam and that's not as dense and sandable just wondering if there's anything else I can use. usually there's always a substitute for things like this and I'm just checking to see if anybody has any thing to share thank you

Trapper2016 and J.N.L like this.
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sure, you can order foam from a foam manufacturing facility, I've done it but they have a minimum quantity for purchasing so, unless you want to dump a ton of money and then store it, it probably isn't worth it. You could also maybe get some others in your area to split it with you, that's what was suggested to me. I no longer use the stuff, I went to buying sheets of pink or blue foam and gluing them together.

drwalleye, J.N.L and Clew like this.

3. Cook bros insulation Kansas City MO

drwalleye and Clew like this.
  4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I got so tired of carving bodies
    I got to the point of making my own molds in half inch increments
    Up to 15 lbs
    Today I have about 30 differnt bass molds, what I do most of
    And several bream and crappie molds
    Initial cost was up
    But now
    Very cheap

J.N.L likes this.
  5. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I bought a bunch of repo molds from don Patton for sunfish bream and perch
    And made body molds from these
    Some of these Jimmy Lawrence had that I bought
    Investment up front means profits later

Mudbat and J.N.L like this.
  6. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If you have a home depot near by they can get blue dock foam,a little pricey but free shipping

drwalleye and J.N.L like this.
  7. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

With the cost of shipping and the current cost of foam. On larger fish it’s cheaper to just buy and alter a form.

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep, I pretty much anymore only carve forms for fish that one isn't available for.

Mudbat likes this.
  9. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

I have had good success with the general bead board you can buy at Menards/Lowes/etc. Carves nice and you can sand it pretty smooth. I have been using the pink foam and gluing for thickness, but it is more problematic than the white bead board when rasping/filing/sanding. But, it works.

Beltonbanger likes this.