1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Media And Materials Question

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Clovis Point, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

My molding and casting experience is pretty limited… I’ve made a rough fiberglass mold of a fish form to use with 2 part foam… and I’ve used fiberglass layup on a boat and broken tractor fenders but that’s about it. I’m wanting to make a mold of a hatchet head to make some cheaper lightweight accessories for a few pack mounts I’ve got to do this year.

Should I make the mold with silicone ? And what type of resin ?

I also wanted to make some copies of some of my arrowheads to sneak into habitats here and there. Anyway. Newbie molding/casting guy here. I understand the concept now im trying to make sense of what to use when.

thanks in advance

2. vic h

vic h Active Member

Hey Clovis, If you google Bity Mold Supply you can get all your questions answered and have a good place to buy supplies. They are out of texas so the shipping will at a pretty doable price. They also sell silicone and rubber in smaller quanties than the big suppliers, this will save you silicone loss due to the short shelf life that some silicones have. They have a large library of videos to view to look up to match what you need to know. The thigs you want to mold will be easy for you. It will be a good learning tool to help you with more difficult jobs later. you can also google PolyTek co. supply good place for the same reasons as above. I would start with ureathane rubbers for the molds and work your way up to the more complicated to work with than the silicones. ureathane plastics will be good to pour your pieces IMO. Good luck!......
    Vic

3. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

Thank
    thank you Vic. I will look in to those resources.

4. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    Also look at smooth on web site
    Lots of tutorials on what your wanting to do

Clovis Point and vic h like this.